Jackson mother, ex-wife in custody talks: reportJuly 14th, 2009 - 4:20 am ICT by IANS
Los Angeles, July 13 (DPA) Michael Jackson’s mother is in negotiations with his former wife, who is also the mother of his two older children, to settle a potential custody battle, ABC News reported Monday.
In his will, the late superstar named his mother Katherine Jackson, 79, as the guardian of his children, with pop diva Diana Ross as an alternate. However, legal experts say that his ex-wife Debbie Rowe, who is the children’s birth mother, has a strong legal
claim for custody.
The mother of Jackson’s third child, Blanket, 7, is unknown.
A custody hearing that had been scheduled for Monday has been postponed for a week.
Sources told ABC News that Rowe is willing to forego a fight for the children if their grandmother, Katherine Jackson, allows her more time to visit and guarantees that their grandfather, Joe Jackson, whom Michael accused of abuse, would never be named a guardian.
Though still legally married, Katherine lives apart from Joe Jackson, who has been talking up the show business skills of the Jackson children amid speculation that he might try to form them into a band called the Jackson 3.
Michael Jackson died June 25, aged 50, of cardiac arrest.
- Diana Ross to sign off the custody of Michael Jackson's kids - Aug 01, 2012
- MJ's mum, ex-wife to split child psychologist bill under new custody deal - Jul 31, 2009
- Jackson's former wife denies cash-for-kids claim - Jul 15, 2009
- MJ's ex-wife looking after his children - Jun 28, 2010
- MJ's kids face custody row after granny falls ill - Jun 13, 2010
- Katherine Jackson says she was on short vacation - Jul 27, 2012
- Hearing on Michael Jackson's kids' custody delayed - Jul 11, 2009
- Jermaine Jackson rebuffs Debbie Rowe's custody bid - Jul 04, 2009
- Katherine seeks joint guardianship of MJ's kids - Jul 29, 2012
- Joe Jackson ready to step aside to help wife win MJ's kids' custody - Jul 18, 2009
- MJ supported dad Joe, claim new legal documents - Oct 06, 2010
- Jackson's parents file for kids' guardianship - Jun 30, 2009
- Michael Jackson's will published here - Jul 02, 2009
- Debbie Rowe concerned for MJ's kids' safety after stun gun threat reports - Mar 06, 2010
- MJ's eldest sister to raise his kids? - Jul 24, 2009
Tags: abc news, birth mother, business skills, cardiac arrest, custody battle, debbie rowe, diana ross, dpa, grandmother, joe jackson, katherine jackson, legal claim, legal experts, michael jackson, mother katherine, pop diva, show business, speculation, third child, wife debbie