Jackson autopsy begins, toxicology results could take weeksJune 26th, 2009 - 11:59 pm ICT by IANS
Los Angeles, June 26 (DPA) An autopsy and toxicology tests started Friday on pop star Michael Jackson, but the exact cause of his death may not be determined for six to eight weeks, the Los Angeles County coroner’s office said.
“The likelihood is very slim that we will have any results to release today because of the extensive tests that we’re going to be performing,” said Ed Winter, assistant chief coroner.
Jackson died Thursday after collapsing from a cardiac arrest at his home in Los Angeles. He was 50. Doctors at the UCLA Medical Centre tried to resuscitate him for more than an hour, his brother Jermaine said.
The autopsy was being performed by Indian-American pathologist Lakshmanan Sathyavagiswaran, who was also a star witness in the OJ Simpson case, celebrity website tmz.com reported. The website was the first to report Jackson’s death Thursday.
Jackson died after being given “a heavy dose of morphine”, tmz.com also reported, quoting family members.
The website said that family members were alarmed at his state and had planned to put him in a rehab facility for his addiction to morphine and prescription drugs.
Jackson’s death has been shrouded in mystery. A Los Angeles police official said that given the “high-profile nature” of the death, the case had been assigned to the robbery and homicide team, but said there was no evidence of criminal wrongdoing.
- Sylvester Stallone hires private investigator - Jul 19, 2012
- Michael Jackson's autopsy finds nothing whacky - Jun 27, 2009
- No foul play in Jackson's death; more tests needed - Jun 27, 2009
- Michael Jackson's doctor focus of inquiry - hires lawyer - Jun 28, 2009
- Cause of Sage Stallone's death still unknown - Jul 16, 2012
- LAPD hunt doctor who gave Michael Jackson Demerol shot - Jun 26, 2009
- O.J. Simpson murder ME Lakshmanan Sathyavagiswaran autopsy's Michael Jackson - Jun 26, 2009
- Was Whitney Houston murdered? - Mar 07, 2012
- Father alleges foul play in Michael Jackson's death - Jul 11, 2009
- MJ's mother missing? - Jul 23, 2012
- Did Houston mix prescription drugs with alcohol? - Feb 13, 2012
- Michael Jackson administered drugs himself? - Apr 06, 2010
- Doctors worked an hour to resuscitate him: Jackson's brother - Jun 26, 2009
- Alexander Jentzsch's death is a mystery - Jul 10, 2012
- Coroner rules out foul play in Jackson's death - Jun 27, 2009
Tags: cardiac arrest, celebrity website, chief coroner, criminal wrongdoing, exact cause, heavy dose, lakshmanan, los angeles county coroner, medical centre, michael jackson, morphine, oj simpson case, pathologist, police official, prescription drugs, profile nature, rehab facility, star witness, toxicology results, toxicology tests, ucla medical