Jack And Jill - Come Tumbling From The Hill(IANS Movie Review -Rating:*1/2)November 26th, 2011 - 4:52 pm ICT by IANS
Film: Jack and Jill, Director: Dennis Dugan, Actors: Adam Sandler, Katie Holmes and Al Pacino, Rating: *1/2
There are those who like refinement in cinema, and many who trip just on the opposite. If you belong to the latter category, ‘Jack and Jill’ is a film hand-made for you. However, if you’re not, avoid the film like the plague.
Brother-sister twins Jack and Jill (Adam Sandler both), can’t stand each other. Mostly it’s because Jill manages to get on the nerves of Jack. Hence, during one Thanksgiving when Jill comes and stays with Jack’s family all hell breaks loose till Jill unwittingly seduces Al Pacino, whom Jack needs to save his company.
In the film, Adam Sandler plays a double role. But he is so all over the place that it might seem that he is playing 10 different characters. Thus, if you are a big fan of Adam Sandler, even then you won’t be able to stand this film because Adam Sandler is as full of Adam Sandler in the movie as in this sentence.
Yes, the film has its funny moments. But there are so many gags and jokes stuffed one after the other that the good ones are lost in the melee of the bad ones. There’s not a moment’s respite or silence in the film as one dialogue follows another. By the end of it all, it is a mixed bag in your head.
The jokes and gags are unintentionally funny because they have been done so many times by so many films in the past that it is hilarious to see another film try it once again and fail so desperately.
It is as if the makers of the film knew that they were in possession of a bad film and so tried their best to fill every second of silence with some or the other noise to din out the lack of quality. It, however, worsens the film.
Even the delectable Al Pacino, playing himself, and cameos by many famous people, is unable to save this loud, crash and boorish film.
Indians will perhaps take particular insult to the character of an adopted Indian kid in the family who is always sticking things to his body with duct tape.
Even the wordplay, with words like ‘Prostitwin’ and ‘womb-mate’ (to describe a twin) does not particularly appeal and leaves you disappointed.
- Sandler dresses in drag for 'Jack and Jill' - Oct 13, 2010
- Katie Holmes and Adam Sandler star in Jack and Jill - Aug 26, 2010
- Katie Holmes to star in 'Jack and Jill'? - Aug 26, 2010
- I'm going to India in December: Katie Holmes - Nov 24, 2011
- Sandler best amongst worst: Gets 11 Razzies nominations - Feb 26, 2012
- Sandler worse amongst worst: Gets 11 Razzies nominations (Lead) - Feb 26, 2012
- 'Grown Ups' - childish and boring (IANS Movie Review) - Aug 13, 2010
- Gomez triumphs at Kids Choice Awards - Apr 01, 2012
- 'Just Go With It' not a good adaptation (IANS Movie Review) - Apr 10, 2011
- Al Pacino heads for 'Arbitrage' - Nov 03, 2010
- Mexican comedian gets role in Hollywood sitcom - Dec 21, 2011
- Movie Review - Grown Ups (2010) - Aug 14, 2010
- Al Pacino: 'Playing Dr Kevorkian was a role to kill for' - Apr 19, 2010
- 'Zookeeper' disappointing, go to the zoo instead - Sep 23, 2011
- Al Pacino To Play Jack Kevorkian In Next Flick - Apr 19, 2010
Tags: adam sandler, al pacino, brother sister, cameos, dennis dugan, famous people, gags and jokes, indian kid, insult, jack and jill, jokes and gags, katie holmes, latter category, loud crash, melee, movie review, plague, refinement, respite, sister twins