‘Jaane Tu…’ got a superstar opening: AamirJuly 5th, 2008 - 3:32 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, July 5 (IANS) Light college drama “Jaane Tu…Ya Jaane Na” won the hearts of audiences on the day of its release and Aamir Khan, whose nephew Imran debuted in the film, says it got an opening only a superstar’s movie would get. “‘Jaane Tu…’ got a response as strong as ‘Qayamat Se Qayamat Tak’ (Aamir’s debut film). It got an opening which only Shah Rukh (Khan) or Hrithik’s films get,” Aamir, who is also a co-producer of the film, said at a press conference here late Friday.
Aamir, who was accompanied by Imran, actress Genelia D’Souza and director Abbas Tyrewala, said the movie’s fresh look and young star cast had made it popular.
Asked about his creative contribution towards “Jaane Tu…”, he asserted that Abbas was the main creative force behind the movie.
“The only thing I did for the film is that when Abbas brought me the script I said it is a great script. Go with it,” Aamir said.
But Abbas reacted quickly and said: “Aamir is being too humble. He gave me various suggestions from time to time which were very useful to me.”
Audiences just loved the film and adored Imran, who is touted as the new chocolate boy on the block.
“The first show of ‘Jaane Tu…’ was housefull,” said Sachin Shah, manager, KT Multiplex in suburban Mumbai.
Said Tenzin, a student: “It is a peppy young movie, a lot of fun, is very fast and doesn’t drag at all. You don’t realise how it gets over. Imran is adorable.”
But Imran still has his head firmly on his shoulders and said: “The audience has a lot of expectations from me as I am a star’s nephew. So there is huge pressure on me. I’ll do my best to live up to the expectations of my fans.”
According to trade analyst Taran Adarsh, the film got an overwhelming response at the box office on its first day.
“The film got a flying start, collecting more than 80 percent in morning shows and was 100 percent in noon shows across the country. It’s one of the biggest starts of this year. The reports are very good and the film is expected to enjoy a strong, meritorious run in days to come,” Adarsh said.
- Love stories good, but I want to experiment: Imran Khan (Interview) - Dec 06, 2010
- 'Dhobi Ghat' makes it official - Aamir Khan is different! - Jan 22, 2011
- Cinema no more wholesome family entertainer: Imran Khan (Interview) - Jun 30, 2011
- Not making 'Jaane Tu...' sequel: Abbas Tyrewala - Mar 13, 2012
- No more romantic films: Abbas Tyrewala - Jan 13, 2011
- No pre-release jitters for Imran Khan - Feb 06, 2012
- Abbas Tyrewala's Next To Star John And Imran Khan! - Sep 29, 2010
- John's New Role Model Is Aamir Khan - Jul 06, 2010
- Why Imran Khan loves doing romantic comedies? - Jun 24, 2010
- Abhishek, Imran And Ritesh To Give Voive Cameos In 'Jhoota Hi Sahi' - Oct 11, 2010
- Even for biggest of stars, every film counts: Imran Khan (Interview) - Aug 16, 2011
- Kareena a hassle free co-star: Imran - Feb 03, 2012
- 'Dhobi Ghat' displays Mumbai's myriad colours (Movie Preview) - Jan 17, 2011
- Don't badmouth Bollywood: Manjari Phadnis - Sep 06, 2012
- Abbas Tyrewala consults Salim Khan for '1:800 Love' - Jul 25, 2009
Tags: aamir khan, abbas, actress genelia, audiences, chocolate boy, college drama, creative contribution, creative force, debut film, fresh look, genelia, genelia d souza, hrithik, multiplex, mumbai, nephew, overwhelming response, qayamat se qayamat tak, shah rukh khan, taran adarsh