Ivy Queen thrives in male-dominated reggaetonAugust 29th, 2012 - 12:36 pm ICT by IANS
San Juan, Aug 29 (IANS/EFE) Puerto Rican reggaeton pioneer Ivy Queen is presenting her new album “La musa” that will keep her in the forefront of a musical genre dominated by men.
The woman born Martha Ivelisse Pesante told EFE Tuesday that there is “no trick or chemistry” regarding the key that has led to her continued success.
Ivy Queen began her career in the mid-1990s by collaborating on the albums put out by The Noise, produced by DJ Negro.
The artist says she has survived in reggaeton as a minority compared with the other well-known artists because she was born to make music.
Since she began her reggaeton career, she says, her mission has been to create and compose songs “that have some kind of subject matter” so that people understand the concept and message.
Ivy Queen said that the song “Caminando por la vida,” which she includes on her new album, is a social critique of the lack of human warmth and politicians who abuse the people.
“It’s a very strong subject. Also, it talks about when a human being kills another just because of (the latter’s) sexual orientation,” she said.
- Puerto Rican rapper Ivy Queen makes acting debut - Jan 18, 2012
- Natalia collaborating with Franco De Vita, Daddy Yankee - Jul 04, 2012
- Wisin, Yandel hope for P.Diddy collaboration on new disc - Aug 17, 2011
- Ricky Martin fans to celebrate his 40th birthday - Dec 24, 2011
- Franco the Gorilla launches new disc - Nov 19, 2011
- Don Omar, Prince Royce big winners at Billboard Latin awards - Apr 28, 2012
- Ex-Miss Universe to judge this year's contest - Sep 02, 2011
- Puerto Rican rapper releases new album - Nov 02, 2011
- Reggaeton duo include JLo in upcoming album - Mar 07, 2012
- Feliciano's new CD dedicated to Elvis Presley - Jan 12, 2012
- Ricky Martin performs in Paraguay - Sep 11, 2011
- Daddy Yankee brings high-energy show to Chile - May 15, 2011
- Puerto Rican musician Yomo Toro dies - Jul 03, 2012
- Ricky Martin, Julieta Venegas captivate Brazil - Aug 29, 2011
- Musician blends mariachi with country - Jul 25, 2012
Tags: chemistry, efe, forefront, human warmth, ivelisse, ivy queen, martha, mid 1990s, musa, musical genre, new album, pesante, pioneer, politicians, puerto rican, san juan, sexual orientation, social critique, subject matter, well known artists