I’ve re-written ‘3 Mistakes…’ for film: Abhishek KapoorJune 9th, 2009 - 9:04 am ICT by IANS
By Subhash K. Jha
Mumbai, June 9 (IANS) “Rock On!” director Abhishek Kapoor is looking forward to wielding the megaphone for the screen adaptation of “The 3 Mistakes Of My Life”, but says his cinematic take on Chetan Bhagat’s novel will be a dramatic departure from the book.
“I’ve completely re-written the novel for the screenplay. It’s been an exhausting process,” Kapoor told IANS.
According to him, “Rock On!” was a completely original script, while “The 3 Mistakes Of My Life” is a derivative.
“It’s not about degrees of originality. It’s about what grabs my attention. And this is the film I want to make next,” he said.
Kapoor has just finished scripting the film and will start shooting early next year. Ritesh Sidhwani and Farhan Akhtar, who facilitated his acting debut with “Rock On!”, are once again producing his film, but it will not star Farhan.
He is aware of the heightened expectations from him after the success of “Rock On!”. The film that also starred Arjun Rampal, Luke Kenny, Purab Kohli and Shahana Goswami besides Farhan not only got critical appreciation but hit the bull’s eye at the box office.
“I’d love to (work with Farhan again). But I don’t see him fitting in as any character in ‘The 3 Mistakes Of My Life’,” he said.
Bhagat has written three bestsellers till now - his first book “One Night At A Call Centre” was adapted by actor-turned-director Atul Agnihotri. Titled “Hello”, the film was released last year but the Salman Khan-Katrina Kaif- starrer turned out to be a box office dud.
Director Rajkumar Hirani of “Munnabhai” fame is making a film on Bhagat’s “Five Point Someone”. Titled “3 Idiots”, the film stars Aamir Khan in lead.
- Sushant Singh Rajput in movie version of '3 Mistakes Of My Life'? - Apr 30, 2012
- 'The 3 Mistakes Of My Life' goes on floors this month - Apr 09, 2012
- Rock On Director's Next: Chetan Bhagat's The 3 Mistakes Of My Life, And No Farhan In It - Jun 08, 2009
- Now I know why Chetan Bhagat is famous: Amrita Puri (Movie Snippets) - Jul 09, 2012
- Director Abhishek Kapoor doesn't believe in weekend business - Jun 28, 2012
- Bollywood needs fresh talent: Director Abhishek Kapoor (Interview) - Jun 29, 2012
- It's bad scripts that Raj Kumar Yadav avoids - Jul 12, 2012
- Rock On!!Once more? - Jan 27, 2010
- I want to take 'Don' forward: Farhan Akhtar - Dec 20, 2011
- No scriptwriting for Bollywood: Chetan Bhagat (Interview) - Oct 08, 2011
- I like taking risks, says Sushant Singh Rajput - Jul 13, 2012
- Working with new directors learning experience: Ritesh Sidhwani - Jun 05, 2012
- Indian cricket team to watch 'Don 2' in Melbourne - Dec 24, 2011
- Recognise desi beauties, not foreigners: Abhishek - May 18, 2012
- Shah Rukh returns in villainous avatar in 'Don 2' (IANS Preview) - Dec 20, 2011
Tags: aamir khan, abhishek kapoor, arjun rampal, atul agnihotri, box office dud, chetan bhagat, critical appreciation, dramatic departure, farhan akhtar, film stars, goswami, hirani, katrina kaif, megaphone, original script, purab kohli, salman khan, screen adaptation, shahana, subhash k jha