I’ve lost a friend: Asha Parekh remembers Shakti SamantaApril 10th, 2009 - 8:14 pm ICT by IANS
By Subhash K. Jha
Mumbai, April 10 (IANS) Asha Parekh, who did some of her most memorable roles under the direction of Shakti Samanta, says that with his death she’s “lost a friend and a filmmaker who was a pleasure to work with.”
Samanta passed away here Thursday at the age of 83.
“I feel miserable because all my directors are going one after the other. Two years ago I lost another of my favourite directors Pramod Chakravorty…I did two fine films with Shaktida ‘Kati Patang’ and ‘Pagla Kahin Ka’,” Parekh said.
“I was supposed to do another of his earlier films that went on to be a big hit. But at that time I was reluctant. It was Shaktida’s son Ashim who suggested I do ‘Kati Patang’. And I’m so glad I did. I got my first Filmfare award for it…Shaktida was an incredible talent,” She added.
Recalling the indomitable spirit of the late ace director, she said: “Six months ago Shammi Kapoor and I accompanied him to Kolkata where he was felicitated. At the airport Shammiji had to be taken on a wheelchair to the aircraft. But Shaktida refused the wheelchair. At the airport Shaktida and his son spent hours humming and singing the songs from their films. What music Shaktida created with R.D Burman and other composers!”
Talking about the last days of Samanta, she said: “He had such energy till almost the end although his health was deteriorating. He had to suffer a lot during the his last months. He was in hospital to be operated for his prostrate. Then his pacemaker failed him. I’m glad the pain ended. But I’ve lost a friend and a filmmaker who was a pleasure to work with.”
- 'Yeh Jo Mohabbat hai' a modern love story: Ashim Samanta - Jun 21, 2012
- I will miss Shaktida so much:Sharmila Tagore - Apr 10, 2009
- Dev Anand's leading ladies remember their 'hero' - Dec 06, 2011
- Sachin Bhowmick convinced mom to let me do Hindi films: Sharmila - Apr 14, 2011
- No place for Holi songs in Bollywood anymore? - Mar 20, 2011
- Old is gold: Revival time for Bollywood's defunct banners - Jul 17, 2012
- Nawazuddin gets late recognition, says it's never too late - Jun 03, 2012
- Bollywood will miss wizard of entertainment Shakti Samanta (Obituary) - Apr 10, 2009
- It was 'Love in Simla' for 'Shagird' Joy Mukherjee (Filmography) - Mar 09, 2012
- Shammi Kapoor's leading ladies will miss the star - Aug 14, 2011
- Bollywood mourns lovable 'Junglee' Shammi Kapoor's death - Aug 14, 2011
- Shammi Kapoor was like a mentor to me: Asha Parekh - Aug 17, 2011
- Kite flying - old passion finds new celluloid expression - Jun 30, 2012
- Priyanka plays happy actress in Kunal Kohli's film - Dec 31, 2011
- Want to revive family banner with sensible films: Prateek (With Image) - Jul 12, 2012
Tags: ace, asha parekh, ashim, chakravorty, composers, filmfare award, filmmaker, indomitable spirit, ka, kati patang, last days, memorable roles, mumbai, pacemaker, pagla, r d burman, samanta, shammi kapoor, subhash k jha, wheelchair