I’ve informed Pakistan’s PM, president about death threats: Adnan SamiApril 20th, 2009 - 2:48 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, April 20 (IANS) After reported fights between his estranged wife Sabah and friend Pooja Bedi, Adnan Sami has now got death threats. The Bollywood singer says he has informed Pakistani Prime Minister Yousuf Raza Gilani and President Asif Ali Zardari about the calls.
“I had to,” said Adnan. “He’s (Gilani) an old family friend. I know him from the time he was the speaker of the Pakistan assembly. And I’ve informed President Asif Zardari also. They had to know about the threats because if something happens to me, they should know whom to point a finger at,” Adnan told IANS.
Adnan, who is of Pakistani descent but born and brought up in Britain, has been living in Mumbai for quite some time. His father Arshad Sami Khan was a Pakistani diplomat and was close to many of Pakistan’s political elite.
“If I’m harmed, it would become an international issue and I don’t want the wrong people to be accused,” Adnan added.
Sabah suspects Pooja has a relationship with Adnan and attacked her when she visited him at his home. Pooja is said to have suffered scratches in Sabah’s assault.
Both Pakistan’s president and prime minister have ensured Adnan all support and cooperation.
“Not just them. I’ve also approached the Indian home ministry and the highest authorities have assured me optimum cooperation. The support I’ve received during the time of my stress from outside and inside Bollywood is overwhelming,” said Adnan.
Speaking reluctantly about the death calls, Adnan said: “The first call came at around 9.30 a.m. on Thursday followed by one every half hour. It was very clear in its intention. The person on the other end warned me to lay off someone or face the consequences. But I didn’t act intimidated at all. The caller clearly named the person on whose behalf he was calling. I was horrified and appalled beyond words. Can anyone normal or sane stoop so low?”
Adnan immediately informed the Mumbai authorities that his life is in danger.
“They’ve very kindly beefed up my security. The number of security personnel around me has gone up drastically. But I’m not feeling safe any longer. I want people to know who’s to blame if something happens to me,” he said.
“I feel everyone close to me is now in danger. So I’ve decided that they should all stay as far away as possible from the house. My mother, who was in Islamabad for her father’s funeral, is back in the house to look after my father. But I’m asking my entire family and friends to be nowhere near me. My mom won’t travel anywhere with me. I’d never be able to forgive myself they came to any harm.
“When my son Azaan came to know, he insisted he was coming over (from Karachi) right away. He was distraught. No chance in hell I’d leave him vulnerable to any attack. And the person getting these calls made would happily hurt my son. Azaan threatens to catch the next flight to Mumbai.”
Adnan says the caller makes it clear on whose behalf the calls are being made.
“No bumper prizes for guessing who,” he said. “I’ve told them, “Jo bhi karna hai kar lo (Do whatever you can).”
“I’m in and out of court so much now, it’s become a way of life. Now with these death threats the law and the legal system are my best friends. I’ve begun to feel so isolated from all my friends.
“The other day I recorded a song with A.R. Rahman. Everyone was being polite but distant. They didn’t know what to say to me until I broke the ice by saying, ‘Sorry I’m half an hour late, guys. I was just dealing with a troublesome wife in court.’ They burst out laughing.”
Adnan’s lawyers now have a written a document from him which would be opened in case he’s harmed.
“I know exactly who to blame if anything happens to me. And I also know which political party in Mumbai is abetting this person,” Adnan said without naming anyone.
- Let me dance and sing, says Adnan Sami after divorce - Jun 22, 2012
- High Drama At Adnan Sami’s Residence On Sunday Afternoon…Ex-Wife Barges In With Lawyer ... - Jan 06, 2011
- Yes, I'm getting married in Europe: Adnan Sami - Jan 24, 2010
- Adnan's house confiscated, ex-wife barges in with lawyer - Jan 04, 2011
- I'm incapable of any violence: Adnan Sami - Jan 31, 2009
- “Sometimes I Wonder What I’d Do Without My Problems”…Adnan Sami In Distress Again - Dec 31, 2010
- Adnan's son calls on ailing grandfather - Mar 09, 2009
- Please don't club me with Rahat: Adnan - Feb 27, 2011
- Salman didn't recommend me for 'Bigg Boss', says Mahek Chahal - Dec 13, 2011
- I'm a qualified lawyer, will fight it out with wife: Adnan Sami - Feb 02, 2009
- Adnan, Roya ready for parenthood - Aug 27, 2012
- Adnan Sami's son bonds well with Salman Khan - Jan 01, 2009
- Marriage talk hampers Geeta Basra's career! - Dec 06, 2011
- Sabah files for divorce, Adnan gets support from first wife Zeba - Feb 16, 2009
- Airport Authorities Apologize To Adan's Amma - Nov 30, 2009
Tags: adnan sami, asif ali zardari, bollywood, death threats, family friend, gilani, half hour, home ministry, intention, mumbai, pakistani diplomat, pakistani prime minister, political elite, pooja bedi, quite some time, raza, sabah, scratches, stoop, yousuf