Item number in ‘Joker’ raises activist’s hecklesAugust 23rd, 2012 - 9:17 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, Aug 23 (IANS) Hindi movie “Joker”, scheduled for release Aug 31, could face legal hurdles over a raunchy item number that allegedly insults patriotic sentiments, an activist said here Thursday.
A legal notice has been served on the Central Board of Film Certification demanding deletion of the item number.
The song has “caused an intolerable insult to our first warrior of independence, Rani Laxmibai, famous as Jhansi ki Rani,” said Rajkumar Tak, the Maharashtra director of International Human Rights Association.
“The song, ‘Kaafirana’, carries offensive words and utters the name of the great warrior princess Jhansi Ki Rani in a derogatory manner. We want the producer, Shirish Kunder, to delete the item number or Rani Laxmibai’s name must be deleted from that song,” lawyer S. Kunjuraman told IANS.
“Joker” stars Akshay Kumar and Sonakshi Sinha in the lead role, and the controversial item number has been picturised on Chitrangada Singh.
The lyrics sung by Sunidhi Chauhan and Adarsh Shinde feature words like “bevdi, bawaal, kaafirana, paapi ye ang hai, saali kalank hai, fultoo dabangg hai, kholeye ab, do peg, baby I just want you, Jhansi Ki Rani,” Kunjuraman pointed out.
Tak said that the pre-release video of the song shows a “vulgar item girl gyrating like a drunkard” and revolving a long stick symbolizing the sword of Rani Laxmibai.
Kunjuraman warned that unless the producers complied, they would be compelled to move the Bombay High Court and seek appropriate relief.
- Farah Khan turns item girl! - Jul 13, 2012
- Now Chitrangada wants to drape sari for cover shoot - Dec 27, 2011
- Chitrangada happy with move to commercial cinema - Dec 17, 2011
- Sunidhi dislikes tagging songs as 'item numbers' - May 29, 2012
- Madhuri inspires Chitrangada's look in 'Kaafirana' - Feb 29, 2012
- Ideas about item numbers have not changed: Aruna Irani - Aug 19, 2012
- Chitrangada game for more item songs - Aug 29, 2012
- Item songs have become first look of films: Sunidhi - Apr 08, 2012
- My husband liked my ethnic look in item number: Chitrangada - Jul 31, 2012
- Yash Chopra names SRK-starrer 'Jab Tak Hai Jaan' - Sep 11, 2012
- "I Salute Kratika Of 'Jhansi Ki Rani'", Says Additi Gupta - Aug 16, 2010
- Sudhanshu Pandey to play prince in 'Jhansi Ki Rani' (With Images) - Mar 12, 2011
- 'Go go Govinda' different from item numbers: Sonakshi - Aug 04, 2012
- Playing historical character is not easy: Achint Kaur - Dec 31, 2010
- Mumbai Congress for ban on 'Shanghai' song - Jun 05, 2012
Tags: akshay kumar, bombay high court, chitrangada singh, derogatory manner, drunkard, film certification, heckles, insults, intolerable insult, joker, kalank, kunder, lead role, legal hurdles, offensive words, rani laxmibai, release aug, sentiments, sinha, warrior princess