Italian priest pulls the plug on nun beauty pageantAugust 27th, 2008 - 6:44 pm ICT by ANI
Melbourne, Aug 27 (ANI): The Italian priest, who was organising an online beauty competition for nuns, has called off his plans amid protests from faithful and local religious authorities.
The Rev. Antonio Rungi thought that the Miss Sister 2008 would give nuns more visibility within the Catholic Church and fight the stereotype.
But later changed his mind after seeing reports that suggested that nuns would be metaphorically put on a catwalk, insisting that he had been misunderstood.
Rungi said what he had in mind was not just external beauty but the “overall beauty.”
“I wanted to make a blog on vocations, one where everybody could bring their own experiences,” the Courier Mail quoted Rungi, as saying.
“I wanted to create a showcase for the pastoral experience of nuns.”
“Instead, they made it look like it was a catwalk a la Miss Italy,” he said. “I have been misunderstood,” he added. (ANI)
- Fugitive Catholic priest arrested in Tamil Nadu - Mar 17, 2012
- Kerala sister's book runs into controversy - Aug 12, 2012
- Priest hacked to death in Colombia - Sep 14, 2011
- Priest slain in Colombia - May 03, 2012
- No request for accused priest's return to US: Church - Apr 06, 2010
- Priest gunned down in Guatemala - Jan 28, 2012
- Ice cream ad showing priests in 'seductive' pose banned - Oct 27, 2010
- Fire destroys Shillong church, short circuit suspected - Jan 02, 2012
- Church of England branded 'fascist' and 'vindictive' - Oct 17, 2010
- Accused of abuse, Catholic priest asked to return to US (Lead) - Apr 07, 2010
- Catholic monk arrested on murder charges in China - Jul 09, 2010
- New bishop for post left vacant for 48 years in China - Jul 15, 2010
- Chile's prisons are like garbage cans: official - Dec 27, 2010
- Now, a confession app on iPhones, iPads approved by Catholic Church - Feb 04, 2011
- Kathakali meets Christ: Holy Mass on stage - Jul 17, 2011