It was insulting to slap Anil Kapoor: Zayed KhanNovember 23rd, 2008 - 1:10 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Nov 23 (IANS) When Bollywood actor Zayed Khan had to slap Anil Kapoor for a scene in Subhash Ghai’s “Yuvvraaj”, he felt insulted but carried off the act well, realising that it is all a part and parcel of his job - acting.”I never imagined I would slap Anil Kapoor. For me, Anil is like an elder brother and is very experienced. On a personal level, I felt insulted for having slapped him. But that’s what acting is all about,” Zayed told IANS in an interview.
“Actors do things ordinary people are not allowed to do sometimes. It’s the nature of the job,” he added.
In “Yuvvraaj”, which is about sibling rivalry, Zayed has played the role of a materialistic man, who is driven by excess money and power. Despite the presence of industry bigwigs like Anil, Salman Khan and Katrina Kaif, Zayed said his presence will be felt in the film.
“Your presence must be felt by your performance, by how good you make it and how confident you are of yourself. I never felt their presence in the film was threatening because my biggest asset on sets is that I consider myself a student.
“Whenever I am working with seniors, I give them their space but once I am in my zone, I forget who is senior, junior, big, small, and I just come in to my own workspace,” he said.
Barring films like “Main Hoon Na”, “Shabd” and now “Yuvvraaj”, Zayed has mostly acted in action films. He made his debut in 2003 with “Chura Liya Hai Tumne” and went on to do others like “Dus”, “Cash”, “Rocky: The Rebel”, “Fight Club” and “Mission Istanbul”.
With a family drama like “Yuvvraaj”, the actor says director Ghai has made him fall in love with acting once again.
“While shooting for ‘Yuvvraaj’, I was arguing with Subhashji over one or two things and then he came up, discussed the scene and explained it to me. When I saw the outcome on the monitor, I thanked him for making me love acting all over again,” said Zayed.
He explained: “I am a physical actor. I have the ability to jump on a horse, scuba dive, jump from a mountain. I can do all of that, considering the kind of sporty guy I am. But I did forget the essence of acting between all this. As an action hero, I feel one cannot really portray the full potential.”
For Zayed, “Yuvvraaj” has become a turning point in his career.
“When a director of calibre like Subhash Ghai asked me politely ‘Zayed, I want you to do this role’, I think it says something about my nature towards my job and of course I want the film to do so well that it becomes a milestone,” he said.
- "Subhash Ghai Who Has Not Given Any Assistant Of His A Break As A Director In The Last 35 Years Of His Career Chose Me To Direct A Film For His Own Banner" - Aug 28, 2010
- Mukta Arts Announces 3 Films On Their 32nd Anniversary - Oct 27, 2010
- Subhash Ghai ropes in Priyadarshan for new project - Aug 18, 2010
- Will Aamir launch Jackie's son? - Nov 24, 2011
- I owe a lot to Subhash Ghai: Anil Kapoor - Nov 19, 2008
- Mukta Arts announces three films to mark 32nd anniversary - Oct 25, 2010
- We want good scripts, chants Bollywood - Mar 19, 2012
- Salman, Arbaaz share screen space after four years (Film Snippets) - Apr 26, 2009
- Ghai celebrates Indian movie centenary with Cinema 100 - Jun 01, 2012
- Salim-Suleiman, Ismail to compose for Ghai's next - Sep 10, 2012
- Subhash Ghai Signs Priyadarshan To Direct His Next Movie - Aug 18, 2010
- I'll launch my directorial venture on Diwali: Subhash Ghai - Mar 12, 2010
- Akshay has really grown as an actor: Salman Khan - Nov 18, 2008
- Jackie makes cameo appearance in Rajini film - Feb 03, 2012
- No films for friends in Bollywood: Zayed Khan - Sep 27, 2011