‘Ishqiya’ director moves from badlands to cityMarch 4th, 2011 - 2:13 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, March 4 (IANS) Abhishek Choubey, who took his plot and characters in “Ishqiya” to the rural badlands of North India, is moving into a suburban setting for his second directorial venture. He says the woman’s part would again be central to the script, though far more sophisticated and mysterious than in the previous film.
“My second film is set in Mumbai. I want to run the script by my writer and director friends in Mumbai to see if I’ve got the nuances right,” said Choubey.
The challenge for him is to take the female protagonist beyond Vidya Balan in “Ishqiya” and Priyanka Chopra in “7 Khoon Maaf”.
“The woman in my next film is not just delicious in her provocative attitude, she is also deeply mysterious. I can’t say if she is unique. But she’s certainly arresting and in no way like the typical heroines,” he said.
The film is a city-based thriller with dark yet humorous overtones.
“Yes, I’m making a dark thriller. Since it’s a whodunit, the title has to be just right. My producer and mentor Vishal Bhardwaj had given me a fantastic title in ‘Ishqiya’. I’ll have to lean on him again this time for a title,” he said.
The young director apparently wants to cast Vidya Balan, who was the central character in “Ishqiya”, in the central part again. But he is reluctant to reveal anything right now.
“All I can tell you is I can’t have Naseer saab back in my second, much as I’d like to. There’s no protagonist of that age in my second film. As for Vidya and Arshad Warsi, it is too early to talk,” he said.
But he said Gulzar will write the lyrics and Bhardwaj will score the music.
“I can’t imagine making a film without them. Look at the impact of ‘Dil to bachcha hai jee’. I am quite happy to see Madhur Bhandarkar has named his film after my song,” he said.
- Naseer looking forward to 'Dedh Ishqiya' with Madhuri - May 26, 2012
- Madhuri signs Bhardwaj's 'Dedh Ishqiya' - Apr 10, 2012
- Madhuri Dixit signs Anubhav Sinha's next movie - Apr 27, 2012
- 'Aladdin' flopped as I failed to tell a story: Sujoy Ghosh - Feb 10, 2012
- Vidya Balan plans 'dirty dancing' post-break - Feb 27, 2012
- Arshad Warsi finds sequels risky, but excited about 'Ishqiya 2' - May 26, 2011
- Kangna to match steps with Madhuri in 'Dedh Ishqiya' - Jun 21, 2012
- Teetotaller Vidya does the drunken act for 'Ishqiya' - Jan 08, 2010
- 'Ishqiya 2' will be cult: Arshad Warsi (Movie Snippets) - Jan 05, 2012
- I'll definitely marry, but not thinking about it now: Vidya - Jan 06, 2012
- Vidya Balan gets supremely sozzled for a song - Jan 08, 2010
- Vidya true successor of Aamir: Kashyap (Movie Snippets) - Mar 11, 2012
- Shock and abuse: Bollywood's new style - Feb 15, 2011
- 'Daayan' a supernatural mystery, not horror film: Kalki - Mar 01, 2012
- Simpleton to sexy siren: Vidya Balan goes ooh la la! - Aug 31, 2011
Tags: abhishek, arshad warsi, badlands, central character, city mumbai, dark thriller, dil, directorial venture, female protagonist, heroines, khoon, mentor, naseer, north india, nuances, overtones, priyanka chopra, vidya balan, vishal bhardwaj, whodunit