Is VIP-Swapnil’s Manoj Kumar act below the belt?March 23rd, 2010 - 12:06 pm ICT by Sampurn Wire
March 23, 2010, (Sampurn Wire):A successful satire is one which is enjoyed even by the person who is being spoofed. However, legendary Bollywood actor Manoj Kumar isn’t one who takes jokes upon him lightly. Apparently, King Khan too wasn’t spared after Kumar took offence to his impersonation by Khan in the film Om Shanti Om. The veteran actor had filed a defamation suit against the director Farah Khan, producers Shah Rukh and Gauri Khan for projecting him in bad light.
Apparently, another set of lesser known individuals have run the risk of infuriating Kumar. The individuals in question are actor Swapnil Joshi and stand-up comedian VIP (Vijay Ishwarlal Pawar). The duo’s act on the March 20 episode of the show Comedy Circus maha sangram had everyone in splits but the satire on Manoj Kumar appeared to be below the belt.
The theme of the day was honouring Sachin Tendulkar for his world record One-day international individual score of 200 not out against South Africa recently. Swapnil Joshi played Tendulkar, while VIP essayed different characters around him. One of them was a rather envious Manoj Kumar who questions “Sachin’ Joshi as to why the latter should be given the Bharat Ratna award.
During the act, VIP sighs, “Meri baat koi nahi sunhta.” (No one listens to me).” To this Joshi replies, “Arrey, yadi tum yeh haath apne mooh se hatalon toh log sunnhe ke saath aapko dekh bhi lenge.” (If you take your hand off your face, then people will be able to listen and see your face too) ”
Kumar has a peculiar on screen presence whereby he often spoke with his hand covering his face.
In another instance, VIP “Kumar’ keeps talking while “Sachin’ Joshi ignores his word and swings his bat. When VIP “Kumar’ asks what is he doing? “Sachin’ Joshi replies, “I’m playing with your emotion.”
The real objectionable content is when “Sachin’ Joshi mocks at VIP “Kumar’ saying, “Arey yaar, isse zyada kuch mat kaho warna yeh case kar dega.” (Do not tell much to him or else he’ll file a case).
Well, poking such fun at a legendary figure like Kumar is indeed treading on a dangerous path.
When asked whether he was flirting with danger, VIP replied, “Well, I hope Mr.Kumar has seen it and raises objection to it. At least, we’ll be talked about in the media. Jokes apart, I don’t think the act was in any way below the belt. In the film, Kumar was degraded as he shown as unrecognizable and forgotten hero. I’m not concerned about Manoj Kumar but I’m more worried about reaction to my Mother India act. Our people are very sentimental when it comes to the country. ”
Right said Mr.VIP, but first pray that Manoj Kumar is cool with your act or let’s hope, he hasn’t seen it.
- Mayur Lookhar/Sampurn Wire
- Tendulkar opts out of Sri Lanka tour - Jul 04, 2012
- Sehwag rested, Sachin retained in India's squad for Asia Cup - Feb 29, 2012
- Tendulkar, Zaheer back in India's ODI squad since World Cup - Jan 15, 2012
- Shibani, Punit turn showstoppers (TV Snippets) - Aug 04, 2012
- "Yeh Saali Zindagi" - roller-coaster ride not for the weak-hearted (IANS Film Review; Rating:*** 1/2) - Feb 05, 2011
- Movie Review: Khatta Meetha (2010) - Jul 23, 2010
- Court clears Tendulkar's oath-taking in Rajya Sabha - May 16, 2012
- Tendulkar fourth cricketer now in parliament - Jun 04, 2012
- 'Yeh Faasley' Set To Release In November - Aug 28, 2010
- Tendulkar, Zaheer back in ODI fold, Irfan retained (Lead) - Jan 15, 2012
- For Hema, Dharmendra is king of romance (TV Snippets) - Aug 22, 2012
- Tendulkar opts out; Sehwag, Zaheer back for Lanka tour (Lead) - Jul 05, 2012
- You will find 90 percent Atalji in me: Anjan Srivastav (With Images) - Mar 11, 2011
- Mumbai Indians defeat Knight Riders by five wickets - May 23, 2011
- India's youngsters wasted a good opportunity: Akram - Jun 20, 2011
Tags: apne, bollywood actor, comedy circus, defamation suit, dega, farah khan, gauri khan, impersonation, isse, king khan, manoj kumar, mooh, nahi, objectionable content, sangram, screen presence, shah rukh, swapnil joshi, veteran actor, yadi