Is Jennifer Aniston still trapped in ‘Friends’ image?February 11th, 2009 - 11:15 am ICT by IANS
With her most recent hits “Marley And Me” and “He is Just Not That Into You”, Aniston manages to distance herself a bit from the Rachel persona, but she will have to try harder.
She was actually asked to audition for the part of Monical Gellar, the cleanliness freak in the popular sitcom, but the part went instead to Courtney Cox. Aniston then ended up playing Rachel, for which Cox was the original choice.
Even getting the role of Rachel was all luck for Aniston. She was at that time involved with a show called “Muddling Through” and got to audition for “Friends” only because the other serial was shelved.
Before “Friends” happened, Aniston had to work as a waitress, telemarketer selling apartments, a messenger and a receptionist.
But “Friends” changed all that. She won several awards for her performance and for the past decade or so Aniston has used the platform created by the hit show to hoist herself into movies.
The fame of the TV show bordered on insanity at times. Her haircut was widely copied and she along with her co-stars could actually ask a cool $1 million for each episode. It was also on the show that she met her future husband Brad Pitt when he made a guest appearance. The two tied the knot in July 2000.
The only real notable role she played near the “Friends” fame era was in small independent film “The Good Girl” (2002). There were hopes that she would capitalise on this fame, but it was not quite so. She did, however, have an achievement of sorts.
In 2003 Forbes released their global celebrity list and their shock number one was Jennifer Aniston. This was despite the fact that she had not made much money and was not even that famous. She was also a constant subject for tabloids and celebrity magazines.
But soon her life took a turn for the worse. Though she scored hits with the comedy “Along Came Polly”, her personal life was coming apart. There were rumours that her husband Brad Pitt was having an affair with his “Mr. And Mrs. Smith” co-star Angelina Jolie. Allegations also swirled that Aniston had put her career before having children.
The couple were divorced in 2005. Pitt now has a family with Jolie, but Aniston has dated a string of men, including co-stars, like Vincent Cassel, Vince Vaughn and more recently musician John Mayer.
Aniston had much later tried clarifying the ugly marriage. “I’ve never in my life said I don’t want to have children. I did and I do and I will!” she was quoted as saying.
She tried being dignified with Pitt when rumours about the Jolie affair were everywhere. She had said: “I choose to believe my husband. At this point, I wouldn’t be surprised by anything, but I would much rather choose to believe him.”
The actress is now on a comeback of sorts with “Marley and Me” and “He’s Just Not That Into You”. And as she closes off another decade in her life, here’s hoping she will become the true actress.
- Cox says 'amazing' pal Aniston helping her cope with split - Nov 02, 2010
- Aniston happy about Pitt's engagement - Apr 19, 2012
- Aniston to attend Brangelina's wedding? - Apr 16, 2012
- Jennifer Aniston rejected by 'Cougar Town' star Josh Hopkins? - Sep 30, 2010
- Jennifer Aniston Looking Pretty In 'Cougar Town' - Sep 09, 2010
- A New Man For Jennifer Aniston? - Jul 08, 2010
- Jennifer Aniston: Why Is She Not Getting A Clean Chit From Media? - Dec 02, 2010
- Perfect life is a cliche: Jennifer Aniston - Jul 07, 2012
- A very Happy Birthday to Jennifer Aniston - Feb 13, 2012
- Aniston keen to return to theatre - Jul 25, 2011
- Aniston house-hunting next to Brangelina pad - May 02, 2012
- Courtney Cox brushes off affair rumours - Apr 06, 2011
- Is Christopher Gartin The Man In Jennifer Aniston's Life? - Jul 10, 2010
- Have Jennifer Aniston and Angelina Jolie put the past behind them? - Feb 11, 2011
- Jennifer Aniston All Set To Make Guest Appearance In "Cougar Town" - Aug 24, 2010
Tags: brad pitt, celebrity magazines, co stars, courtney cox, film the good girl, guest appearance, haircut, having an affair, independent film, insanity, jennifer aniston, knot, monical, personal life, polly, receptionist, rumours, sitcom, tabloids, waitress