‘Invictus’ star Morgan Freeman says he’s no rugby fanFebruary 1st, 2010 - 3:09 pm ICT by ANI
London, Feb 1 (ANI): Hollywood star Morgan Freeman insists he’s not a rugby fan, despite starring in a new film based on the sport.
The 72-year-old Oscar winner starred as Nelson Mandela in Invictus, a film about the sport’s famous 1995 World Cup in South Africa, directed by Clint Eastwood.
Freeman says he still knows ‘little to nothing’ about rugby.
‘I wasn’t a rugby fan - I didn’t know beans about rugby. I still know little to nothing about rugby,” the Telegraph quoted him as saying.
‘At home sometimes when you get down to the World Series or National Football League play-offs or the NBA play-offs, I might watch. But I’m not an avid sports fan at all,’ he added.
He also insists that the movie did not concentrate on rugby.
‘It isn’t based on rugby. Everyone keeps saying it’s based on rugby - it incorporates rugby, but it’s based on Mandela,’ he said.
The actor also joked that he did not like working with his co-star Matt Damon - who plays South Africa’s World Cup-winning captain Francois Pienaar.
‘We don’t get on all that good. He’s got a big head, he thinks he’s good-looking and all that. We didn’t get on all that well at all as a matter of fact,’ he said.
Damon said it was an honour to be starring opposite Freeman - who was picked by Mandela himself to play him. (ANI)
- Matt Damon Latest Movie "Invictus" Ready To Hit Theatres - Dec 11, 2009
- Nelson Mandela's tale not easy to understand: Eastwood - Feb 17, 2010
- I have been preparing to play Mandela for years: Freeman - Dec 06, 2009
- Can Bafana Bafana keep host streak alive? (Group A team profile) - May 26, 2010
- Mandela brought World Cup to South Africa - Jun 10, 2010
- South Africa to invoke 'Mandela touch' for World Cup: Pienaar - May 30, 2010
- Morgan Freeman honours Mandela on 92nd b'day with charity road trip - Jul 20, 2010
- South Africa's star power restored as World Cup ends - Jul 11, 2010
- Clint Eastwood likens Nelson Mandela to Christ - Dec 06, 2009
- Rai reinforces India'S talent pool on Asian Tour - Sep 12, 2011
- FIFA not to ban vuvuzela - Jun 14, 2010
- South African footballer recalls tale of surviving 1992 Boipatong massacre - May 01, 2010
- Matt Damon not afraid of ageing - Jan 16, 2011
- Morgan Freeman says award nominations have done nothing for his career - Jan 27, 2010
- Freeman, Theron among celebs to attend World Cup final - Jul 10, 2010
Tags: clint eastwood, co star, football league play offs, hollywood star, honour, invictus, london feb, matt damon, matter of fact, morgan freeman, national football league, nba play offs, nelson mandela, new film, oscar winner, rugby fan, south africa, sports fan, world cup, world series