Interesting Facts and Figures : Urmila MatondkarMarch 19th, 2009 - 2:25 pm ICT by Sampurn Wire
Urmila Matondkar: The daughter of a lecturer, actress Urmila Matondkar began her celluloid career as a child artiste with the film Kalyug (1980). Although an average film at the box-office, her next film, Masoom (1983), about a family coping with an illegitimate member, showed her acting talents blossom and she received critical acclaim from both her fans and the film fraternity. She subsequently appeared in a number of films including Dacait (1987), where she plays Sunny Deol’s under-aged sister who gets brutally raped.
Birthday: 4th February, 1974 in Mumbai.
Debut Film: She debuted as an adult actress with the film, Bade Ghar Ki Beti (1989).
Major Impact: Rangeela (1995).
Successful Films: Chamatkar (1991), Judaai (1997), Daud (1997), Satya (1999), Kaun (1999), Mast (2000), Jungle (2000), Pyaar Tune Kya Kiya (2001), Bhoot (2003), Pinjar (2003), Ek Hasina Thi (2004), Maine Gandhi Ko Nahin Mara (2005), Bas Ek Pal (2006).
Awards: Winner of the Filmfare Critics Award for Best Performance for Bhoot.
Facts we didn’t know:
Has worked with other top actresses like Sridevi, Manisha Koirala, Mahima Chaudhry, Juhi Chawla and Rekha which proves that she’s not afraid to share credit.
Also well known (along with actresses Sonali Bendre, Raveena Tandon and Sushmita Sen) for her sensational dance numbers.
She has played three different negative roles: In ‘Kaun’ she was a sociopath, in ‘Pyar Tune Kya Kiya’ she plays a desperate woman who won’t give up at any cost to get what she wants and in ‘Om Jay Jagadish’, she plays the arrogant and uptight wife and daughter-in-law. She has played a semi-negative role in ‘Bhoot’, where she plays a newly wedded housewife who gets possessed by a dead woman.
Was very good at academics in school. Has been awarded the scholarship (state wide conducted examination) in the 4th standard. -Sampurn Media
- Shifting gears: Urmila Matondkar from Masoom to Karzz - Feb 13, 2010
- Manisha to play key role in 'Bhoot' sequel - Apr 19, 2012
- TV challenging, in no rush for films: Urmila Matondkar (Interview) - Jan 27, 2011
- Urmila Matondkar walks ramp in bridal attire - Oct 30, 2010
- My role in 'Main Lakshmi...' not negative: Nisha Rawal - Jun 19, 2012
- Bollywood beckons its married heroines - May 02, 2012
- Verma praises Manisha for her work in 'BHHOOoo.!' - May 01, 2012
- 'Tum mujhe yun bhula na paoge': Shammi Kapoor's filmography - Aug 14, 2011
- Small screen apes big; creativity down the tube - Jul 07, 2012
- Parul to do an Urmila in Tere Mere Sapne - Apr 07, 2010
- Varma making 'BHHOOoo' to scare his rivals - Jun 16, 2011
- 'Shock' Dubbing Is Completed At Vijay Studio - Sep 02, 2010
- Asha Bhosle keeps grandsons away from today's films - Apr 19, 2012
- 'Bhoot 2' is 'Bhoot Returns' (Movie Snippets) - Aug 31, 2012
- No shocks in 'Shock' (Kannada Movie Review) - Nov 07, 2010
Tags: adult actress, awards winner, child artiste, critics award, dance numbers, dead woman, debut film, desperate woman, ek hasina thi, ghar, juhi chawla, maine gandhi ko nahin mara, manisha koirala, pinjar, pyaar tune kya kiya, raveena tandon, sonali bendre, sunny deol, sushmita sen, urmila matondkar