Interesting Facts and Figures : Sunil DuttMarch 19th, 2009 - 8:32 pm ICT by Sampurn Wire
Sunil Dutt: While it is no doubt that Sunil Dutt was an extremely popular and charismatic star, he is never really spoken of in terms of his histrionics which is extremely unfair if you look at his body of of work. Dutt could play the simple earnest hero - the idealistic young man or the anti-hero - the ‘angry young man’ with equal elan. Be it the comedies or the Muslim Social, be it weepy melodramas or personal experimental films — he did them all and successfully too.
Birthday: 6th June, 1928 in Jhelum, Pakistan.
Date of death: 25th May, 2005 in Mumbai.
Spouse: Nargis (1958-1981) (her death).
Debut Film: Railway Platform (1955).
Major Impact: Mother India (1957).
Successful Films: Ek hi Raasta (1956), Sadhana (1958), Main Chup Rahoongi (1962), Gumrah (1963), Waqt (1965), Khandaan (1965), Gaban (1966), Mera Saaya (1966), Humraaz (1967), Milan (1967), Padosan (1968), Chiraag (1969), Heera (1973), Pran Jaaye Par Vachan Na Jaaye (1973), Zakhmee (1975), Nagin (1976), Nehle pe Dehla (1976), Parampara (1992), Kshatriya (1992), Munnabhai MBBS (2003).
Awards: Two times winner of the Filmfare Best Actor Award and also of the Padma Shri by the Government of India.
Facts we didn’t know:
Sunil Dutt grew up as Balraj Dutt in a family that had survived the Partition of India. A student of Mumbai’s Jai Hind college, he first started off as radio show host and celebrity interviewer, which led to his first encounter with the glamor world.
Prior to his death, he was youth affairs and sports minister with the ruling Congress coalition government. He was a popular politician and one of the first actors from Bombay’s huge movie industry to enter politics. He was elected five times as a member of parliament.
Declared his assets of around 200 million Rupees before going for elections.
Besides being a big supporter of secularism, he was totally against the concept of dowry and it is said that he told his wife to come in the same dress that she wore during the wedding to his house. He also made a film “Yeh Aag Kab Bujhegi” on this topic.
Survived a plane crash and a bad car accident. -Sampurn Media
- Bollywood's first superstar, Rajesh Khanna's filmography - Jul 18, 2012
- 'Tum mujhe yun bhula na paoge': Shammi Kapoor's filmography - Aug 14, 2011
- Bollywood's first macho man Dara Singh's filmography - Jul 12, 2012
- Filmography of evergreen star Dev Anand - Dec 04, 2011
- Talent that became victim of drugs - Feb 12, 2012
- SRK had tough time teaching son (Movie Snippets) - Feb 17, 2012
- 25 films that will be immortalised by US National Film Registry this year - Dec 29, 2010
- Sunil Dutt Is Inspiration Behind Akshay's Look In Action Replayy - Sep 11, 2010
- My look in 'Action Replayy' inspired by Sunil Dutt: Akshay Kumar - Sep 10, 2010
- Little-known 'Pancham': New biography tells endearing tales (With Image) - Apr 12, 2011
- Not linked to 1993 Mumbai blasts, Sanjay Dutt tells SC - Aug 14, 2012
- No creativity in daily soaps: Karan Kundra (With Images) - Mar 29, 2012
- Sunil Bohra to screen 'Sahib Biwi...' for Guru Dutt's family - Sep 24, 2011
- Actor-politician Sunil Dutt remembered ahead of his third death anniversary - May 25, 2008
- Guru Dutt's 'Pyaasa' immortalised in book - Jan 30, 2011
Tags: angry young man, celebrity interviewer, charismatic star, debut film, experimental films, filmfare, first encounter, heera, india facts, jai hind college, jhelum pakistan, member of parliament, mera saaya, munnabhai, muslim social, padma shri, padosan, partition of india, raasta, railway platform