Interesting Facts and Figures Kalki KoechlinMay 27th, 2009 - 9:26 pm ICT by Sampurn Wire
Kalki Koechlin is an Indian actress of French descent who debuted in Anurag Kashyap’s critically acclaimed Hindi film Dev.D.
She played the character of Chandramukhi in Dev.D, which is a modern take on Sarat Chandra Chattopadhyay’s Bengali novella Devdas.
Kalki was born to French parents in a small village in Pondicherry.
Her parents had come to India as hippies 38 years ago and settled there after they fell in love with the country.
Her parents are devotees of Sri Aurobindo.
Kalki was studying in Ooty when her parents insisted her to attend university.
Kalki studied drama and theatre in Goldsmiths, University of London, where she also worked with a theatre company called Theatre of Relativity for two years.
She performed in various plays like David Hare’s The Blue Room, Marivaux’s The Dispute and a devised play The Rise of the Wild Hunt in her two year stint with the theatre group.
Kalki later decided to move to Mumbai to try her luck in Indian Cinema.
She was doing modeling assignments for Television commercials before being shortlisted for the role of Chandramukhi (Chanda) in Dev.D. Kalki can speak Tamil, English and French while she had to learn Hindi to prepare for her role in Dev.D.
About her role Kalki said “My character is much younger and there’s much more to it than just being a prostitute.
After the movie released, her portrayal of the modern Chandramukhi, who goes from an innocent schoolgirl (Lenny) to a vivacious prostitute (Chanda) was critically acclaimed
She won The Hindu metro playwright award 2009 along with Prashant Prakash for their co-authored entry “Skeleton Woman.’
She had also acted in the play “Hair” directed by Ajaykrishnan.
- Abhay is a natural actor: Kalki Koechlin - Sep 01, 2010
- Kashyap's 'That Girl in Yellow Boots' big hit in Toronto (With Images) - Sep 19, 2010
- Anurag thinks I'm a better writer than him: Kalki Koechlin (Interview) - Oct 29, 2009
- Entertainment and morals dont mix: Kalki Koechlin (Interview) - Feb 12, 2012
- 'Difficult to cast two leading actresses together' - Jul 08, 2011
- Anurag Kashyap is truly romantic: girlfriend Kalki - Jan 24, 2009
- Kalki Koechlin took Hindi lessons for 'Dev D' - Feb 01, 2009
- Interesting Facts and Figures Mahi Gill - May 16, 2009
- I love going back to theatre: Kalki - Mar 14, 2012
- Dev D releasing today : Awaiting Reviews - Feb 06, 2009
- Anurag is my biggest critic: Kalki - Aug 27, 2011
- Professional Actress Mahie Gill Experiences The Embarrassment Of Being Drunk On Set - Jan 31, 2011
- Circuit and Chandramukhi Together? - May 22, 2010
- Kalki Koechlin to play female lead in Dibakar's 'Shanghai' - May 06, 2011
- It's hard to keep up good work in Bollywood: Kalki Koechlin (Interview) - May 16, 2012
Tags: anurag kashyap, chanda, chandramukhi, devdas, french descent, french parents, goldsmiths university of london, indian actress, indian cinema, innocent schoolgirl, ooty, playwright award, sarat chandra chattopadhyay, shortlisted, skeleton woman, sri aurobindo, television commercials, theatre group, university of london, wild hunt