Interesting Facts and Figures: Johnny LeverApril 15th, 2009 - 1:30 am ICT by Sampurn Wire
He was born Janardhana Rao aka ISHAAN NATH
Janardhana Rao famously known as Johnny Lever (born 14 August, 1956) is an actor in Hindi cinema known as a comedian of great regard, who has appeared in several films since the 1980s playing comic supporting roles.
Johnny Lever started off as a comedian in real life while still at school. His beginnings as a comedian in his village consisted mainly of imitations of his teachers, his father and his grandfather. He could not study much though and dropped out of school when he was in seventh grade.
Lever got his first break in Indian cinema was in the film Dard Ka Rishta, thanks to the late Sunil Dutt, who saw him perform at a charity show organized by Kalyanji-Anandji. Since then, Johnny has worked in more than 160 films.
Even though he mimics many people, he has created a style of his own which makes him unique.
His younger brother Jimmy Moses, is too, a stand-up comedian and mimcry artist.
He also starred on Zee TV on his own show called Johny Aala Re. In 2007.
He also appeared as a judge on the stand-up reality show Comedy Circus.
He often appears in cameos with Shahrukh Khan.
On 8 December 1998, Johnny Lever was convicted and sentenced to seven days imprisonment for disrespect to the Indian National Anthem and Indian Constitution during a private performance in Dubai. According to the Police, this private performance was on the occasion of birthday party of the son of Anis Ibrahim, brother of international smuggler and terrorist Dawood Ibrahim.
He is married to Sujatha and they have two children Ishak and Jesse.
- Maharashtra's 'Lata Mangeshkar Award' for composer Anandji - Aug 30, 2012
- Johnny Lever remembers the days of hardship - Feb 16, 2010
- Court declines to stay release of 'Chalo Dilli' - Apr 27, 2011
- Chunky enjoys humour connect with young fans - Jul 26, 2012
- Babul Supriyo to act in a Bengali film - Feb 22, 2010
- I am incomplete without Rafi: Shammi Kapoor - Aug 01, 2010
- New Bollywood hybrid music coming: Canadian composer - Aug 13, 2011
- Hindi movie lyricist Gulshan Bawra passes away - Aug 07, 2009
- 'Golmaal 3' completes a rib-tickling trilogy (IANS Hindi Film Review, Rating ***) - Nov 05, 2010
- Hollywood's Rob Schneider excited about Indian debut - Nov 22, 2011
- Sadiyaan (2010) - Apr 02, 2010
- Zellweger turns director - Sep 07, 2012
- Ex-judge, suspended judge's son arrested in cash-for-bail case - Jun 16, 2012
- Andhra CBI judge arrested in cash-for-bail case - Jun 19, 2012
- 'Housefull 2' - too many characters crowd this comic caper (IANS Hindi Film Review) - Apr 07, 2012
Tags: 14 august, brother jimmy, cameos, comedy circus, disrespect, first break, imitations, imprisonment, indian cinema, indian constitution, indian national anthem, interesting facts, ishak, johnny lever, private performance, reality show, shahrukh khan, smuggler, stand up comedian, sunil dutt