Interesting Facts and Figures Farhan AkhtarMay 20th, 2009 - 1:12 am ICT by Sampurn Wire
Farhan Akhtar (born January 9, 1974), is an Indian filmmaker, script writer, actor, playback singer, producer, and host.
His directorial debut (Dil Chahta Hai, 2001) was highly praised and he has since been noted for his cult following.
He made his acting debut with Anand Surapur’s film, The Fakir of Venice (2007),and Rock On (2008).
Farhan Akhtar was born in Mumbai to screenwriters, Javed Akhtar and Honey Irani.
He did his schooling from Maneckji Cooper School, Vile Parle, and later joined H.R. College, for a degree in Commerce, though he left it, in the second year.
His stepmother is the actress Shabana Azmi.
He is also the grandson of Urdu poet Jan Nisar Akhtar and the cousin of Bollywood film director and dance choreographer Farah Khan.
Farhan is married to Adhuna Bhabani Akhtar, a hairstylist who runs Juice Salon with her brother.
They have two daughters Akira and Shakya.
Farhan Akhtar started his career by working as an apprentice with cinematographer-director, Manmohan Singh at age 17, for films like Lamhe (1991); before going on to assist director, Pankaj Parashar in film Himalayputra (1997), followed by working in a television production house for three years, doing various jobs.
He made his writing and directorial debut in Hindi cinema with the 2001-hit, Dil Chahta Hai, produced by Excel Entertainment Pvt. Ltd., a production company he co-established along with Ritesh Sidwani in 1999.
Director/ Producer Karan Johar admited to having thought of Akhtar as a ‘brat’.
He also wrote lyrics for Gurinder Chadha’s 2004 Hollywood film, Bride and Prejudice.
In 2008, Farhan made his acting debut in Rock On. It was critically acclaimed as well as a box office blockbuster.
According to Bollywood analysts, the song “Sindbad the Sailor” in Rock On showcased the latent powerhouse acting talent of Farhan.
Farhan Akhtar was invited by Salim Khan to his residence. Salim Khan was so impressed with Farhan’s acting skills that Salim awarded him with one of his Filmfare awards.
He also appeared in his sister Zoya’s directorial debut, Luck By Chance.
He has appeared as a judge on a few shows on television, including the first season of the dance-reality show, Nach Baliye (2005), and the beauty pageant, Femina Miss India (in 2002).
He is also a TV host on NDTV Imagine with his show: Oye It’s Friday.
- Sampurn Media
- No similarity between 'Zindagi Na...' and 'Dil Chahta Hai': Farhan - May 15, 2011
- Ladakh trip makes Farhan nostalgic - Sep 02, 2012
- 'Dil Chahta Hai' screening to mark Farhan's 10 years in Bollywood - Jun 28, 2011
- Working with new directors learning experience: Ritesh Sidhwani - Jun 05, 2012
- B-Town showers love, birthday blessings on Farhan - Jan 09, 2012
- From director to actor, role reversal is in - Aug 30, 2012
- The year Aamir, Farhan changed Bollywood creativity - Jul 26, 2011
- Aamir Khan To Do Farhan Akhtar's Next - Nov 02, 2010
- A hit Bollywood producer reveals his golden rule - Apr 07, 2011
- Farhan wants to work with childhood friend Salman - Dec 03, 2011
- Farhan urges youth to vote - Jan 20, 2012
- After 10 years, Farah Khan teams up with Aamir again - Jan 13, 2011
- Friends eased pain when parents divorced: Farhan Akhtar (Interview) - Jul 22, 2011
- Farhan Akhtar to endorse watch brand Xylys - Oct 07, 2011
- Shankar loves to see audiences enjoy his music - Mar 14, 2012
Tags: admited, blockbuster, bride and prejudice, cooper school, dance choreographer, degree in commerce, directorial debut, farah khan, film bride, gurinder chadha, indian filmmaker, manmohan singh, nisar, parashar, playback singer, salim khan, shabana azmi, shakya, urdu poet, vile parle