Interesting Facts and Figures Dimple KapadiaMay 20th, 2009 - 10:04 pm ICT by Sampurn Wire
Dimple Chunnibhai Kapadia (born June 8, 1957) is an Indian film actress who appears in Bollywood films.
She was known for her glamorous looks, sex appeal and challenging roles.
She has done variety of roles spanning from sex symbol icon of Bobby and Saagar to serious roles in Rudaali.
Kapadia is the eldest daughter of Gujarati entrepreneur Chunnibhai Kapadia and Betty.
She was discovered by Raj Kapoor, who introduced her in the 1973 movie Bobby.
She was only sixteen at the time.
She married actor Rajesh Khanna at the age of 16 and despite the success of Bobby, left the film industry to raise her children.
After the divorce, she returned to the film industry in 1985, in the film Saagar, where she once again appeared opposite her Bobby co-star, Rishi Kapoor.
Saagar featured a brief topless scene for Ms. Kapadia, which was very controversial at the time.
She then did many roles which were bold. Her sex scene with Anil Kapoor in Jaanbaz is still considered to be very bold.
She won the National Film Award for Best Actress portrayal of her role in Rudaali in 1993.
She was praised for her performance as an alcoholic in Dil Chahta Hai in 2001.
In 2005 she once again starred with Rishi Kapoor in Pyaar Mein Twist. This was twenty years since their last on-screen pairing, and thirty-two years since their first.
In 2006 she starred in her first English-language film Being Cyrus. The elderly Dimple has opted for mature roles of late. Playing either mother or grandmother roles, including a memorable comic performance as a pushy stage mother in “Luck By Chance”
She married actor Rajesh Khanna six months before the release of her first film, Bobby, in 1973.
She then retired from acting for twelve years to raise her two daughters, Twinkle Khanna and Rinke Khanna.
She divorced Khanna in 1984 and returned to acting.
Her daughters also became actresses as did her younger sister, Simple Kapadia.
Her other sister, Reem Kapadia, committed suicide under mysterious circumstances.
Her daughter, Twinkle Khanna, is married to actor, Akshay Kumar.
She is the grandmother of Aarav (Twinkle Khanna - Akshay Kumar’s son).
- Rajesh Khanna to be discharged in a day or two - Jun 24, 2012
- Rajesh Khanna to stay few more days in hospital - Jun 26, 2012
- Rajesh Khanna improving, likely to be released soon - Jun 28, 2012
- Twinkle Khanna Not Returning To Films - Jul 17, 2010
- Dimple Kapadia Turns 53! - Jun 08, 2010
- Rajesh Khanna serious - Jul 18, 2012
- Rajesh Khanna gets few visitors at Lilavati - Jul 01, 2012
- Rajesh Khanna unwell, stops food intake - Jun 20, 2012
- Rajesh Khanna dead (Second Lead) - Jul 18, 2012
- Rajesh Khanna fine, says family - Jun 21, 2012
- Rajesh Khanna fine, undergoing tests - Jun 30, 2012
- Nana gives me a complex, Rishi an atom bomb: Dimple Kapadia (Interview) - Mar 25, 2010
- Grandson Aarav lights Rajesh Khanna's pyre (Second Lead) - Jul 19, 2012
- Grandson Aarav lights Rajesh Khanna's pyre - Jul 19, 2012
- Simple Kapadia passes away - Nov 11, 2009
Tags: actor rajesh khanna, anil kapoor, being cyrus, best actress, bobby co, bollywood films, comic performance, dimple kapadia, english language film, film actress, film award, raj kapoor, rajesh khanna, rinke, rishi kapoor, saagar, simple kapadia, stage mother, topless scene, twinkle khanna