Interesting Facts and Figures Anupam KherMay 27th, 2009 - 12:24 am ICT by Sampurn Wire
Anupam Kher (born March 7, 1951) is an acclaimed actor in Hindi films in India.
He is a Kashmiri Pandit.
He has acted in many successful Bollywood films, and has worked in several British, American and Chinese films as well.
Kher made his acting debut in the 1982 Hindi movie Aagman.
Then in 1984 came Saaransh, where he played a late-age retired person having lost his son and never looked back since then.
He hosted TV shows such as Say Na Something To Anupam Uncle and Sawaal Dus Crore Ka.
He has mainly done comic roles but has done many villain roles for which he got critical acclaim such as Karma (1986) where he played terrorist Dr. Dang.
He was applauded for his performance in the film Daddy (1989). Considered one of his best performances, he received the Filmfare Critics Award for Best Performance.
Kher is a frequent winner in the Comedian category.
He ventured into directing with Om Jai Jagadish (2003) and is also a producer.
He produced and starred in the film Maine Gandhi Ko Nahin Mara (2005).
He received the Best Actor Award from the Karachi International Film Festival for his performance in the film.
Kher is known internationally with the films Bend It Like Beckham (2002), Bride and Prejudice (2004), his appearance on the hit TV show ER, and most recently in The Mistress of Spices (2006) and Lust, Caution (2007).
He also starred in the 2005 Punjabi film Yaaran Naal Bahaaran.
He also served as the chairman of the Indian Film Censor Board until recently, when he was replaced by Sharmila Tagore.
He is an alumnus of National School of Drama (1978 batch) and later became its director, between 2001 and 2004.
In 2007, Anupam Kher, with his batchmate of NSD, Satish Kaushik, started a new film production company, ‘Karol Bagh Productions’, and their first film, Tere Sang, is being directed by Satish Kaushik.
Anupam Kher was unlucky with his marriage to Madhu but lucky second time when he married Kirron Kher.
Kirron Kher was a divorcee. Sikander Kher made his debut in a Sanjay Gupta film.
Anupam’s brother Raju Kher is also an actor who appeared in his directorial debut Om Jai Jagadish and Maine Gandhi Ko Nahin Mara and many TV shows.
He has a brother who workes in the Zee TV drama called ” Hamari Batiyoon Ka Vivah”
- I take each day as a birthday: Anupam Kher - Mar 06, 2011
- Anupam Kher to be honoured with Presidential Award - Jun 03, 2010
- Bollywood finally sets stage for theatre veterans - Apr 21, 2012
- Anupam Kher Company Launched On Painting Exhibition - Sep 09, 2010
- Anupam turns writer, ready to pen his first book - Nov 24, 2011
- Exhibition on Anupam Kher a star-studded affair - Sep 08, 2010
- Character actors are pillars of films: Anupam Kher - Aug 28, 2012
- I want to make my absence felt: Anupam Kher (Interview) - Feb 09, 2011
- IIFA in Colombo to spread peace, support it: Anupam Kher (Interview) - Jun 05, 2010
- "I Do Not Need Stars. I Need Proper Tools To Make My Films" - Sartaj Singh Pannu - Aug 28, 2010
- Indian cinema has lot to offer to West: Anupam Kher - Oct 09, 2011
- Parvin Dabas turns director with 'Sahi Dhandhe Galat Bande' - May 27, 2011
- Anupam most romantic man, says wife Kirron Kher - Jan 04, 2012
- Debutant directors have passion for work: Anupam Kher - Feb 15, 2011
- Only mediocre people play safe: Anupam Kher - Aug 07, 2009
Tags: actor award, anupam kher, batchmate, beckham 2002, bollywood films, bride and prejudice, chinese films, critics award, film production company, hindi films, international film festival, karol bagh, lust caution, maine gandhi ko nahin mara, mistress of spices, national school of drama, om jai jagadish, retired person, satish kaushik, sharmila tagore