Interesting Facts and Figures : Amrita SinghMarch 17th, 2009 - 7:49 pm ICT by Sampurn Wire
Amrita Singh: Amrita’s parentage is Sikh-Muslim. Her dad’s name is Shivinder Singh, and her mom’s maiden name was Rukshana Sultana. She is the great-grand daughter of Sobha Singh, who knighted and had his prefixed by ‘Sir’. She is the niece of writer/author Khushwant Singh, who was also known for his column in leading Indian newspapers. She is one of the most attractive actresses of her time, and perhaps the only one who had a lead role with both Dharmendra and his son, Sunny Deol, and has proved to an actress who is not afraid of doing negative roles.
Birthday: 9th February, 1958 in Hadali, Punjab (Pakistan).
Debut Film: Betaab (1983).
Major Impact: Betaab (1983).
Successful Films: Sunny (1984), Mard (1984), Saaheb (1985), Chameli Ki Shaadi (1986), Naam (1986), Khudgarz (1987), Raju Ban Gaya Gentleman (1992), Aaina (1993), Kalyug (2005).
Awards: She won the Filmfare Best Supporting Actress Award for Aaina.
Facts we didn’t know:
Her mother was Rukhsana Sultan who was famous for being Sanjay Gandhi’s friend and influence peddler during the Emergency years in the 70’s.
Her parents were divorced when she was very young.
She went to Modern School in New Delhi.
Amrita’s paternal great-grandfather, Sir Sobha Singh, was a noted civil contractor who not only made a substantial fortune during the building of New Delhi in the early decades of the 20th century, but also received a knighthood for his efforts.
His younger son, and Amrita’s paternal grand-uncle, is the renowned littérateur Khushwant Singh.
Amrita was initially a belly dancer, but then tried out with cinema. -Sampurn Media
- Neglected paintings by Sobha Singh to be restored - Mar 04, 2012
- Literati recalls times with grand old man of Indian writing - Aug 17, 2010
- 'Tum mujhe yun bhula na paoge': Shammi Kapoor's filmography - Aug 14, 2011
- Sobha Singh's painting goes for auction at Sotheby's (With images) - Feb 25, 2011
- Bollywood's first superstar, Rajesh Khanna's filmography - Jul 18, 2012
- 'Dangerous Ishq' not horror film: Vikram Bhatt (Movie Snippets) - Feb 18, 2012
- Chitrangda's haidresser vanishes with her purse, mobile - Jan 25, 2011
- Sunny Deol's son joins Rahul Rawail's acting school - Nov 24, 2010
- Bipasha's 'Raaz 3' to uncover with Sunny's 'Jism 2' - Jul 23, 2012
- Amrita Puri calls Abhishek real star of 'Kai Po Che' - Jul 13, 2012
- Sunny Leone celebrates birthday with 'Jism 2' team - May 14, 2012
- Sunny Leone signs first endorsement deal in India (With Images) - Apr 26, 2012
- Third Generation Of Deol Family To Enter Bollywood! - Jan 08, 2011
- When cricket became a saviour in battle-scarred Afghanistan (With Images) - May 12, 2012
- 'Big Boss'? Not again, says Sunny Leone - Jul 30, 2012
Tags: actress award, amrita singh, belly dancer, best supporting actress, chameli ki shaadi, civil contractor, debut film, decades of the 20th century, dharmendra, filmfare, indian newspapers, influence peddler, kalyug 2005, khushwant singh, punjab pakistan, sanjay gandhi, sobha singh, substantial fortune, sunny deol, writer author