Interesting Facts and Figures: Ajay DevganApril 9th, 2009 - 2:00 am ICT by Sampurn Wire
Vishal Veeru Devgan (born April 2, 1969 in New Delhi, India), popularly known as Ajay Devgan, is a National Film Award-winning actor who appears in Bollywood films.
Beginning his career as an action hero in the early 1990s, Devgan has since established himself as one of the actors open to serious roles in Bollywood. In 2008 he ventured into directing as well with U, Me Aur Hum, which saw him starring in the lead role alongside his wife, popular actress Kajol.
Devgan is from Punjab.His family is Sikh Ramgarhia Tarkhan His father is Veeru Devgan, a stunt choreographer; his mother Veena Devgan produced one film; and his brother, Anil Devgan, is a Bollywood film director.
He is a graduate of Bapu School in Juhu and Mithibai College.
He married popular actress Kajol on February 24, 1999.
Their daughter, Nysa Devgan, was born on April 20, 2003.
Devgan made his film debut with Phool Aur Kaante (1991), in which he played the son of antagonist Amrish Puri. His performance won him a Filmfare Best Debut Award.
Many of his early movies were of the action genre. He worked with director Deepak Bahry on the action film Ek Hi Raasta opposite Raveena Tandon. He soon began starring in comedy films, such as Ishq in 1997.
In 1998, Devgan was the leading actor in Pyaar To Hona Hi Tha, one of the biggest hits of that year. He next starred in Mahesh Bhatt’s Zakhm. The film was highly acclaimed, as was his performance.
He won several awards for his performance, including the coveted National Film Award for Best Actor and Star Screen Award Best Actor.
Devgan saw further success in 1999 when Sanjay Leela Bhansali cast him opposite Salman Khan and Aishwarya Rai for the film Hum Dil De Chuke Sanam, which was a critical and commercial success.
Devgan’s performance in the film earned him a nomination for Best Actor at the Filmfare.
Devgan went on to be recognised for his association with filmmaker Ram Gopal Varma, resulting in several successful projects.
In 2002, the drama Company earned him his second Star Screen Award Best Actor.
In the same year, his performance in Rajkumar Santoshi’s The Legend of Bhagat Singh won him his second National Film Award for Best Actor.
In 2004, Devgan starred in several critically appreciated films, including Mani Ratnam’s Yuva and Rituparno Ghosh’s Raincoat. Neither of these projects did well at the box office.
In 2006, he played the title role in the critically acclaimed adaptation of Shakespeare’s Othello, titled Omkara.
In 2007, Devgan starred in Ram Gopal Varma Ki Aag, a remake of the classic film Sholay. The film was a major failure critically as well as commercially.
Devgan’s directorial debut, U, Me Aur Hum, in which he starred opposite his wife, was released on April 11, 2008. The film performed well at the box office and received positive reports.
Devgan’s latest project is Golmaal Returns, a sequel to Golmaal. Golmaal Returns surpassed the first day totals of Om Shanti Om and Singh Is Kinng. -Sampurn Media
- Shah Rukh, Sonam named worst actors at Golden Kela Awards - Mar 13, 2011
- Sanjay Dutt- Ajay Devgan to star in action movie - Oct 16, 2009
- Awards are important, says SRK - Jan 14, 2012
- Actor-filmmaker Joy Mukherjee critical - Mar 05, 2012
- Ajay and I don't agree on scripts easily: Kajol (Interview) - Dec 16, 2010
- John Abraham broken and bruised! (Movie Snippets) - Aug 05, 2011
- TV no longer the idiot box: Madhur Bhandarkar ( Movie Snippets) - May 06, 2012
- Behl bets on'Na jaane kahan...' as best entertainer (Movie Snippets) - Mar 28, 2012
- Small-budget 'Udaan' sweeps Filmfare Awards - Jan 30, 2011
- Rituparna Sengupta In Madhur's Dil Toh Bachcha Hai Ji - Aug 23, 2010
- Waheeda Rahman gets Padma Bhushan - Jan 25, 2011
- (VM) I just got lucky, says SRK on 20 years in B-Town - Jun 25, 2012
- Dev Anand: Bollywood's very own Peter Pan says adieu (Obituary) - Dec 04, 2011
- The List For Padma Bhushan And Padma Shri Awards Recipients’ Of 2011 Announced - Jan 26, 2011
- Who says models can't act? - Aug 08, 2011
Tags: action genre, action hero, aishwarya rai, ajay devgan, amrish puri, bahry, bollywood films, comedy films, de chuke, film award, film debut, filmfare, hum dil de chuke sanam, ishq, mahesh bhatt, new delhi india, ram gopal, raveena tandon, sanjay leela bhansali, stunt choreographer