Indonesia makes film on Obama’s childhoodMay 19th, 2010 - 9:38 am ICT by IANS
Jakarta, May 19 (IANS) An Indonesian filmmaker is producing a film on US President Barack Obama, depicting the childhood days he spent with his mother in the Southeast Asian country in the late 1960s.
The film will hit the screens during Obama’s visit to Indonesia next month and is expected to improve the “already good” relations between Indonesia and the US, Damien Dematra, the film’s co-director, was quoted as saying by Xinhua news agency.
The movie, titled “Obama Anak Menteng” (Obama a Menteng Boy), has been adapted from a novel written by Damien. The novel was released in March 2010.
It depicts the life of Obama during 1967-1970 when he stayed with his mother, Stanley Ann Dunham, who married Indonesian Lolo Setoro and stayed in the Menteng area of Jakarta.
During his stay before he moved to Hawaii, Obama studied in two different elementary schools - Besuki school in Menteng and St. Francis of Assisi school.
“Obama’s childhood character was played by Hasan Farouk Ali, a 12-year-old son to an African-American father and a Caucasian mother. He speaks fluent English, but not too fluent Bahasa Indonesia. It fits with Obama’s character as a boy,” Damien said.
Obama’s mother is played by a British woman of Dutch origin, while his step-father is played by an Indonesian man.
“Their backgrounds really support the authenticity to the story,” said Damien, who also consulted Obama’s former neighbours in Jakarta to know more about his childhood.
“We hired them as consultants in the filmmaking, since they still have fresh memories of Obama,” he said.
Shooting for the movie is under way, and it will hit the screens June 17. Obama is expected to visit Indonesia during June 15-19.
- New film 'Little Obama' documents Barack Obama's Indonesian childhood - May 22, 2010
- 'Little Obama' to chronicle US president's childhood - May 23, 2010
- Indonesia to move Obama statue to his old school - Feb 05, 2010
- Protestors want Obama statue removed from Jakarta park - Dec 17, 2009
- Obama's classmates in Indonesia to hold party - Jan 20, 2009
- Statue of young Obama unveiled in Jakarta - Dec 10, 2009
- Increased volcanic activity seen at Indonesia's Mount Anak Krakatau - Nov 02, 2010
- Barack Obama 'racially abused as boy in Indonesia' - Apr 22, 2011
- Film on Barack Obama's childhood premieres in Jakarta - Jul 01, 2010
- PM 'walks' the talk for Obama, Wen and Hun (Postcard from Bali) - Nov 18, 2011
- Obama statue removed from Jakarta park following protests - Feb 16, 2010
- Indonesian jailed for preaching jehad - Mar 29, 2012
- Indian stamps released in Indonesia (With Images) - Jun 20, 2012
- President Barack Obama's Statue Set Up In His School - Feb 23, 2010
- Russian plane goes missing in Indonesia - May 09, 2012
Tags: barack obama, british woman, caucasian mother, childhood days, co director, dutch origin, elementary schools, farouk, filmmaker, filmmaking, francis of assisi, jakarta, lolo, menteng, neighbours, southeast asian country, st francis of assisi, st francis of assisi school, stanley ann dunham, xinhua news agency