Indian presence missing in 2009 Cannes listApril 23rd, 2009 - 8:46 pm ICT by IANS
London, April 23 (IANS) The official lineup of films competing for the top honour Palme d`Or at the prestigious 62nd Cannes Film Festival was announced Thursday, and once again films from India, the world’s largest film producing nation, have found no place.
A total of 20 films from different countries are lined-up to compete at the 12-day event, at the French Riviera starting May 13.
Among the films announced for competition are Almodovar’s “Broken Embraces”, Campion’s period film on poet John Keats titled “Bright Star”, Ang Lee’s “Taking Woodstock”, Spanish filmmaker Isabel Coixet’s thriller “Map of the Sounds of Tokyo” that centres on a fish-market employee who doubles as a contract killer. Chinese filmmaker Ye Lou too is competing with his secretly filmed “Spring Fever”.
Last year too there was no Indian film in the competition section.
In 2008, Dev Anand’s 1965 classic “Guide” and Tamil actor Ajith starrer “Billa”, a remake Rajinikant’s blockbuster were showcased as a part of Cannes Classic and marketing sections respectively. Manoj Srivastava’s short film “Hum Panchhi Ek Daal Ke” was selected in the Short Film Corner section. The nine-minute film, written and directed by Srivastava, showed the lifestyle of street children in Delhi.
This year, American filmmaker Pete Docter’s animation film “Up” will be the opening film and Jan Kounen’s “Coco Chanel & Igor Stravinsky” has been selected as the closing movie.
- India's no show at 64th Cannes Film Festival - Apr 15, 2011
- 'Gangs of Wasseypur' set for world premiere at Cannes - Apr 24, 2012
- No Cannes for Kalki Koechlin - May 14, 2012
- Uday Shankar's classic 'Kalpana' heads to Cannes - Apr 27, 2012
- Indian's movie on Bollywood makes it to Cannes - Apr 19, 2012
- 'Gangs Of Wasseypur' in competition at Sydney film fest - May 09, 2012
- Indias short film selected at Cannes Festival - May 14, 2008
- Vasan Bala's 'Peddlers' selected for Cannes Critics' Week - Apr 24, 2012
- Film festival to highlight millennium development goals - Sep 18, 2010
- Cannes' magic to shine through despite recession - May 07, 2009
- Mumbai film festival promises to be bigger, better - Oct 21, 2010
- All-women jury at 12th Mumbai film fest - Sep 01, 2010
- Angelina Jolie to be part of Almodovar's film - Jan 16, 2012
- From films to fashion - Cannes rolls out red carpet for all (With images) - May 23, 2012
- Women dominate at bigger, better Mumbai film fest - Oct 14, 2011
Tags: actor ajith, american filmmaker, animation film, cannes film festival, coco chanel, competition section, contract killer, daal, dev anand, film corner, fish market, french riviera, igor stravinsky, indian presence, isabel coixet, jan kounen, period film, pete docter, poet john, spring fever