Indian Premier League: A week full of DramaApril 26th, 2008 - 10:43 am ICT by amritpal
The cricket IPL is now a week old. After the weekend update monday morning, I am back with how the story unfolded during the week. This one was a week full of more drama than cricket. It started off with all teams trying to rake in a win or two, it was a tough week for Deccan Chargers and Mumbai Indians. Kolkata Knight Riders, Delhi Daredevils and Chennai Super Kings are on the top of the points table with two wins each. Rajasthan Royals also have 2 wins of the 3 matches played so far.
The week saw very tight matches. On Monay, Rajasthan Royals registered their first win over Kings XI Punjab at Jaipur. Tuesday saw Delhi Daredevils continue their winning streak by defeating Deccan Chargers at their home ground. Dhoni’s Chennai Super Kings again proved to be mighty to defeat the Mumbai Indians, who is still playing without its icon Sachin Tendulkar in the team. On Thursday, Rajasthan Royals again stopped Deccan Chargers from opening their account on the points table. While on Friday, Sangakkara’s wonderful knock helped Lions XI Punjab thrash Mumbai Indians.
Deccan Chargers have failed to charge, with lots of criticism from the experts who believe that Laxman has a an excellent top order, which he is unable to leverage. Laxman himself has been for long considered as a test-playing player, but now he is alleged to have ensured losses for Deccan by not sending Afridi to the top order and in the last match, he even opened the innings himself!
On-ground it was full of action, but off-ground, there was much more happening. There was a furore among the Indian politicians over the Cheerleaders and the way they danced on the ground. BCCI chief Sharad Pawar, who happens to be a politician too, rubbed off the opposition by saying that its the need of the changing times. Fans can rejoice that Cheerleading is here to stay. While Bangalore Royal Challengers have roped in the best Cheerleaders from the National football league - The Washington Redskins - Chennai on the other hand saw male Cheerleaders during the match between Chennai Super Kings and Mumbai Indians.
The week was full of Bollywood stars and celebrities emerging to support their respective teams. Most teams also have their brand ambassadors performing live at the matches. Rajasthan Royals roped in Ila Arun, Chennai saw the majestic performance of percussionist Sivamani, and Hyderabad Deccan Chargers though have not roped in any stars to promote the team, sizzling Sameera Reddy performed at the inaugral match in Hyderabad.
While the Mumbai Indians’ Duniya Hila Denge attitude hasnt helped them win a single match till date, it surely shook up the Lionx XI when the acting captain Harbhajan Singh slapped - yes you read it right he slapped! - the fiery Sreesanth. The act happened immediately after the match on Friday, when Lions XI won their first tie against Mumbai Indians. Sree walked up to Bhajji and said “Hard Luck Bhajji” and the aggressive Sikh want ahead and slapped him. Sreesanth as emotional as ever, burst out crying on the field with uncontrollable tears flowing through his eyes. It was a sad moment in the Indian cricket, and only gives one more reason to critics for debating whether IPL has made BCCI rich at the cost of Indian cricket. This is an issue for a larger debate that we will take over on this column in coming times.
So the drama on IPL continues. Keep Watching this space for what happens this weekend.
- Super Kings to start IPL title defence against Mumbai Indians - Jan 06, 2012
- IPL-IV: 74 matches played over 51 days (Schedule) - Apr 06, 2011
- Gilchrist pleased with team's performance in IPL - Apr 17, 2011
- New captains will bring fresh ideas in IPL-4 - Apr 07, 2011
- Deccan Chargers hope to end losing streak against Daredevils - Apr 18, 2012
- Deccan Chargers keen to break the jinx at Uppal - May 07, 2012
- List of players sold in IPL auction-5 - Feb 04, 2012
- Symmo, Bhajji in the same eleven! - Jan 08, 2011
- Kings XI Punjab take on Deccan Chargers in a must-win game - May 20, 2011
- IPL-4 auction: Gambhir top grosser; No takers for Lara, Ganguly (Lead) - Jan 08, 2011
- RCB desperate to return to winning streak - May 05, 2012
- Deccan Chargers elect to field against Super Kings - Apr 07, 2012
- IPL: Lucky Super Kings take on upbeat Mumbai Indians Wednesday - May 23, 2012
- Can Kings XI Punjab make IPL play-offs? - May 16, 2011
- Owais Shah reprimanded - May 19, 2012
Tags: afridi, bangalore, bhajji, cheerleaders, cheerleading, chennai, dare devils, Deccan Chargers, Delhi, dhoni, drama, fans, football, harbhajan, Indian Premier League, ipl, laxman, Lions XI, Mumbai Indians, punjab, Rajasthan Royals, Royal Challengers, sachin tendulkar, sameera reddy, sangakkara, slapped, sree, sreesanth, Super Kings, washington redskins