Indian Idol first female winner Sourabhee DebbarmaMarch 2nd, 2009 - 10:44 am ICT by Amrit Rashmisrisethi
The popular music reality show “Indian Idol” had been running for four years and it is the first time on this show a female had won. Sourabhee Debbarma became the first female contestant winner in the Indian Idol Season 4 of the TV programme in Mumbai on Sunday night.
Sourabhee, who is from the India’s north east, belted out popular numbers confidently and the runners-up is a Bengali girl Torsha Sarkar and army man Kapil Thapa. While Sourabhee walked away with a Rs.10 million contract with Sony TV and a car. The result was based on public voting.
The evening featured appearance by Bollywood stars John Abraham, Katrina Kaif and Neil Nitin Mukesh who had come to promote their forthcoming film “New York”. The show features judges Javed Akhtar, Anu Malik, Kailash Kher and Sonali Bendre.
The 22-year-old winner is petite, charismatic and adds glamour to her stage performances with her perfect moves - a plus point she has had since the beginning of the show. However, the girl has had no professional training in music.
She recently met veteran Assamese composer Bhupen Hazarika who told her “my blessings are with you”.
- India gets its first female 'Indian Idol' - Mar 02, 2009
- Tripura toasts its 'Indian Idol' all night long - Mar 02, 2009
- Tusshar's daring baring act (Movie Snippets) - May 17, 2012
- 'Indian Idol 6' hunts for good voice, not looks: Judges - Apr 02, 2012
- Hazarika's death big loss for music industry: Bollywood - Nov 05, 2011
- Hazarika hummed songs of love, nature - Nov 05, 2011
- Bhupen Hazarika's golden voice falls silent - Nov 05, 2011
- Bhupen Hazarika - master balladeer who touched millions of hearts (Obituary) - Nov 05, 2011
- Assam's most celebrated voice to come alive on screen - Sep 13, 2012
- Hazarika's death plunges Kolkata's cultural world into gloom - Nov 06, 2011
- Sonali Bendre surprised to see hubby Goldie at LFW - Mar 06, 2012
- Mini Mathur turns producer with talk show on parenting - Jun 24, 2010
- President, PM, other leaders pay tributes to Hazarika - Nov 05, 2011
- There will never be another Bhupen Hazarika: Lata - Nov 08, 2011
- Telecom mess prevents Nepalis from voting for 'Indian Idol' - Mar 02, 2009
Tags: anu malik, army man, bengali, bollywood stars, female contestant, female winner, film new, forthcoming film, indian idol, john abraham, katrina kaif, nitin mukesh, professional training, reality show, sarkar, sonali bendre, sony tv, stage performances, thapa, tv programme