Indian films’ sales pitch peaks at CannesMay 20th, 2009 - 3:44 pm ICT by IANS
By Saibal Chatterjee
Cannes, May 20 (IANS) With “Slumdog Millionaire” having made waves on the global scene, Indian movie themes and filmmakers are beginning to reap the benefits in the international sales and co-productions arena at the ongoing Cannes Film Market.
” ‘Slumdog’ has opened a door for Indian cinema,” says Hollywood producer Ashok Amritraj. “We have to put our foot in and capitalise on the opportunity.”
The happy augury is that several Indian films have been picked up for global distribution by frontline sales agents and the going could only get better from here on if filmmakers from this part of the world, as Amritraj points out, can learn the rules of the game.
The Indian Film Company (TIFC) has made history by selling its “Road, Movie”, written and directed by Dev Benegal, to Fortissimo Films, which is one of the world’s leading sales agents with offices in Amsterdam, London, Paris, New York and Hong Kong.
“‘Road, Movie’ is an important milestone in our company’s endeavour to support India’s growth on the cinematic world stage,” said Sandeep Bhargava, CEO of the advisory board of TIFC.
TIFC has also got leading British distribution company HanWay Films on board to handle Gurinder Chadha’s “It’s a Wonderful Afterlife”, starring Golden Globe winner Sally Hawkins, Sendhil Ramamurthy, Jimi Mistry and Shabana Azmi.
Endeavour Independent has bought the distribution rights of Venus Records and Tapes’ “Hisss”, a Hindi-English film directed by Jennifer Lynch and starring Irrfan Khan and Mallika Sherawat.
Also playing for big global stakes is Ambika Hinduja’s Serendipity Films. It is pitching the Leena Yadav-directed “Teen Patti” for widespread global sales in the Cannes Film Market. The film features Amitabh Bachchan, Ben Kingsley, R. Madhavan and Saira Mohan.
“We want to make cinema that will appeal to audiences in both India and around the world,” Hinduja, whose previous production was Homi Adjania’s wickedly quirky “Being Cyrus”, told Variety here.
India’s biggest entertainment sector player, Reliance Big Pictures, has brought a slew of arthouse films, besides Anurag Basu’s Hrithik Roshan-Barbara Mori starrer “Kites”, to the Cannes market. The response, company representatives say, has been hugely encouraging.
Big Pictures’ offbeat regional line-up includes Buddhadeb Dasgupta’s “Janala” (Bengali), Shaji N. Karun’s “Kutty Srank” (Malayalam), Amol Palekar’s “Samantar” (Marathi), M.S. Sathyu’s “Ijjudu” (Kannada), and Rituparno Ghosh’s “Abohomaan” and “Shob Charitra Kalponik” (both Bengali).
“We will be unveiling these films in various major festivals in the coming months,” says Reliance Entertainment chairman Amit Khanna.
(Saibal Chatterjee can be contacted at firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Global sales major Fortissimo snaps up India's 'Road, Movie' - May 15, 2009
- India's NFDC ups ante in Cannes market - May 21, 2009
- 'From Blighty with Love': Britain targets Indian multiplexes - May 24, 2009
- 'Bollywood's domination has harmed India's regional cinema' - May 24, 2009
- Big B, Abhishek in French director's film? - May 18, 2009
- 'Kites' grosses Rs.65 crore worldwide in opening weekend - May 24, 2010
- Ashok Amritraj to strike century with 'The Unbound Captives' - May 18, 2009
- Film Mart launched at Kolkata fest to lure bigger market - Nov 11, 2011
- Big Pictures' projects bag 14 trophies at 57th national awards - Sep 15, 2010
- 'Road to Sangam' espouses Gandhi's tenets at Cannes - May 23, 2009
- Watch Bengali Movies Online At Dingora.Com - Aug 05, 2010
- Dustin Hoffman making his directorial debut with 'Quartet' - Sep 13, 2011
- Dev Benegal's 'Road Movie' to premiere at Toronto fest - Aug 27, 2009
- Nila Madhab's 'Jalpari' screened at Marche du Cannes - May 22, 2012
- 'Kites' grosses over Rs.21 crore on opening day - May 22, 2010
Tags: ambika, ben kingsley, british distribution, cannes film market, global scene, golden globe winner, gurinder chadha, hinduja, indian films, irrfan khan, jennifer lynch, jimi mistry, leena yadav, mallika sherawat, r madhavan, saira mohan, sales pitch, sendhil ramamurthy, shabana azmi, venus records