Indian film industry should change its attitude: Kamal HaasanMarch 26th, 2009 - 8:45 pm ICT by IANS
Chennai, March 26 (IANS) Multilingual film actor Kamal Haasan Thursday slammed the critics who say that Oscar winning film “Slumdog Millionaire” showed India in a bad light.
“I am tired of hearing allegations about ‘Slumdog Millionaire’ showing India in a bad light instead of rejoicing over the achievement of A.R. Rahman and Resul Pookutty,” Haasan said at the audio launch Wednesday of “Pasanga” a children’s film being by Sasi Kumar.
“Director Danny Boyle shot on location and did not create a set to depict Mumbai’s underbelly. Further, foreigners see the slums of India’s financial capital first and then its skyscrapers.”
“If good films are made and showcased, bad films will fade away naturally,” Haasan added.
According to the matinee idol, the showbiz’s prevalent fetish for “success formulae” on pure commercial terms was leading the audience astray and in turn resulting in mediocre movies.
Haasan advised all concerned - especially fans - to encourage healthy, meaningful and decent cinema to help the society at large correct itself.
- Resul Pookutty, Boman Irani plan workshops at film festival - Nov 15, 2010
- Danny Boyle’s ‘127 Hours’ Theatrical To Release With Narnia 3 - Dec 04, 2010
- Resul Pookutty wanted to win a Physics Nobel prize - Nov 27, 2010
- 'Slumdog Millionaire' worst film I have seen, says Karnad - Feb 08, 2010
- Resul Pookutty to work on Tamil film '3' - Jan 19, 2012
- Rahman to rock Olympics with Punjabi beats! - Jun 30, 2012
- You need an opportunity to succeed, says Oscar winner Pookutty - Apr 29, 2009
- Rahman got one Oscar and then the other one was a bonus: Gulzar - Mar 02, 2011
- I've never dreamt of winning these awards: Rahman - Feb 01, 2010
- Pookutty announces three scholarships for film students - Jun 17, 2011
- President, PM congratulate Rahman, Pookutty - Feb 23, 2009
- Resul Pookutty to sponsor film student - Jun 11, 2009
- India-born Tariq Anwar misses Oscar for best editing - Feb 28, 2011
- List of eight Oscars won by 'Slumdog Millionaire' - Feb 23, 2009
- Boyle's '127 Hours' to hit Indian screens Jan 28 - Dec 30, 2010
Tags: allegations, attitude, audience, chennai, cinema, fetish, film actor, foreigners, formulae, good films, indian film industry, kamal haasan, launch, matinee idol, millionaire, resul, showbiz, skyscrapers, slums of india, underbelly