Indian cinema to turn 100, celebs applaud its accomplishmentsMay 2nd, 2012 - 4:53 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, May 2 (IANS) The Indian film industry will celebrate 100 years of its existence in 2013. Celebrities are excited and say that the progress and growth of the cinema in the last 10 decades have been outstanding.
On May 3 1913, India’s first full-length feature film “Raja Harishchandra” was first shown in public. Although it was a silent film, it marked the advent of the Indian film industry.
Here is what some of film fraternity members have to say about the centenary celebration:
Anu Malik: It is a very big day. Not just for the Hindi film industry but for the regional industry as well - for the Marathi cinema, Gujarati and Bengali cinema. I think the kind of progress our entire Indian cinema has done is outstanding. Today, we are on par with Hollywood.
Dia Mirza: There is a certain aestheticism that has come into the Indian cinema that is worthy of applause. I have just done a Bengali film and I was exposed to a lot more Bengali films. I have realised that we tend to live in a pigeon hole perspective. There is so much more to Indian cinema than the Hindi films.
Anurag Basu: I am a small part of this journey, but I am part of it. It’s a very happy occasion but we have to cross many milestones in future.
Juhi Chawla: The industry has given me more than what I dreamt of and if you people are in front of me and listening to me, then it is because of this industry and I am eternally grateful.
Dhanush: I am really glad that I am also a tiny part of the cinema. I wish I can learn more and contribute more to Indian cinema.
- Now, National Film Awards to be held May 3 every year - May 03, 2012
- Indian cinema's centenary celebrations to begin at Apsara awards - Jan 18, 2012
- Zoya Akhtar denies making documentary on Indian cinema - Apr 24, 2012
- First Indian film museum in 2013: Ambika Soni - Sep 09, 2011
- On Indian cinema's centenary, wax statue to honour Phalke (With Images) - Feb 17, 2012
- Website to celebrate 100 years of Indian Cinema - Jul 12, 2012
- Zohra Segal, Ramesh Sippy to get lifetime honours - May 29, 2012
- Dhanush signed for Hindi film 'Raanjhnaa' - Jan 24, 2012
- Museum on Indian Cinema to be ready by May 2013: Soni - May 03, 2012
- Bhandarkar, Benegal honoured with Hindi promotion award (With Images) - Jun 20, 2012
- Pooja Bose ecstatic over her Bengali debut - Feb 16, 2012
- Vidya Balan retrospective at Indian film fest in Oz - Mar 13, 2011
- Indian films at Locarno fest rise above song and dance - Aug 08, 2011
- Juhi Chawla misses entry to Oscars - Dec 12, 2009
- Dhanush rubbishes Rajinikanth paid for '3' losses - Apr 18, 2012
Tags: 10 decades, aestheticism, bengali cinema, bengali film, centenary celebration, dhanush, dia mirza, feature film, fraternity members, gujarati, hindi film industry, hindi films, indian cinema, indian film industry, juhi chawla, length feature, marathi cinema, pigeon hole, regional industry, silent film