Indian bags best actor award at Cairo film fest (With Images)November 26th, 2009 - 5:37 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Nov 26 (IANS) Kolkata-based actor Subrat Dutta walked away with the best actor award at the 33rd Cairo International Film Festival (CIFF) for his performance in “Madholal Keep Walking”.
The film takes the audience through the daily life of a Mumbai-based common man called Madholal who has modest dreams and usual challenges. Dutta, a theatre actor, won the award for playing Madholal Dubey in the film directed by documentary filmmaker Jai Tank.
This is Tank’s first feature film and is doing well in the international film circuit.
At the Asian Film Festival in Singapore, the movie is also nominated in three categories - best film, best producer and best director. It will also compete at the Third Eye Asian Film Festival to be held in Mumbai in December, said a press release.
This year, India was the focus country at Cairo film fest held Nov 10-20.
Director Shri Krishnan Seshadri Gomatam’s Tamil film “Mudhal Mudhal Mudhal Varai” won the Silver Award in the Digital Section. The film was sent as an entry by the Directorate of Film Festivals.
Commercial Hindi film “New York” was the opening film and a retrospective of Madhur Bhandarkar’s films — “Chandni Bar”, “Page3″, “Corporate”, “Traffic Signal” and “Fashion” — was shown in the special section called Tribute to India.
Bollywood actors Anil Kapoor, Irrfan Khan and Celina Jaitley were honoured at the fest.
- Irfan Khan's Loss - Jul 27, 2010
- 'Madholal keep walking' nominated for 8th Third Eye Asian Film Festival - Dec 04, 2009
- Subrat wins award in Cairo Festival for Madholal Keep Walking - Nov 26, 2009
- Movie Review: Madholal Keep Walking(2010) - Aug 27, 2010
- Small-budget movies to crowd box office this Friday - Aug 25, 2010
- 'Madholal Keep Walking' celebrates Mumbai's undying spirit: Swara Bhaskar (With Images) - Aug 21, 2010
- I Cannot Think Beyond Subrat Dutta When I Think Of Madholal, Though I Had Narrated The Subject To Irffan When I Had Finalised The First Draft Of 'Madholal Keep Walking' - Jai Tank - Sep 03, 2010
- Anil Kapoor, Irrfan Khan to be honoured at Cairo film fest - Nov 12, 2009
- Boney Kapoor, Adoor get lifetime achievement awards at Cairo fest - Nov 14, 2009
- 'Urumi' wins best film at Madrid film fest - Jun 04, 2012
- India's no show at 64th Cannes Film Festival - Apr 15, 2011
- I want to do a Bengali film now: Celina Jaitley - Dec 29, 2009
- Australia-New Zealand film festival holding "Rani Mukherjee Retrospective" - Mar 11, 2010
- 'New York' to open Cairo film fest - Nov 04, 2009
- Mumbai Film Festival honours Oliver Stone at closing ceremony - Oct 29, 2010
Tags: actor award, anil kapoor, asian film festival, bollywood actors, cairo international film festival, celina jaitley, ciff, documentary filmmaker, dubey, film festivals, first feature film, focus country, india bollywood, international film festival, irrfan khan, madhur bhandarkar, seshadri, silver award, tamil film, theatre actor