Indian American director’s thriller gets 8 festival nominationsJuly 27th, 2012 - 11:31 am ICT by IANS
Washington, July 27 (IANS) “9 Eleven”, a Bollywood-style thriller by an Indian American director, has been nominated for a record eight awards at the 2012 World Music & Independent Film Festival here in August.
A fast paced thriller with undertones of terrorism, the film poses the question how does one survive collectively in meeting the growing phenomenon of terrorism head on. Written and directed by Manan Singh Katohora, “9 Eleven” portrays the life of 11 people terrorised to the core by an unknown entity in an unfamiliar place.
Each individual is petrified and is hesitant to talk or take each other into confidence for one simple reason: The fear of the unknown!
Katohora, who won the 2012 Rising Star Award for the film at Canada International Film Festival, has been nominated in three categories: Best Screenplay; Best Director and Best Director in SouthEast Asian Film.
Other nominations are: Best Horror/Thriller Film; Best South East Asian Film; Best Supporting Actor: Tejash Natali; Best Supporting Actress: Jyoti Singh; and Best Supporting Actor: Sonny Chatrath.
The winners will be announced August 25.
Founded by June Daguiso, WMIFF is an IMDB qualifying international film festival that showcases and recognises all global independent artists and their diverse talents.
Dedicated to building a global film community and supporting emerging filmmakers, WMIFF offers all selected artists exceptional exposure.
Earlier ‘9 Eleven’ won the Best Feature Film award at the Peoples Film Festival (TPFF) in New York showcasing extraordinary films using different media formats.
Silicon India has listed it as one of the ten outstanding movies by Indian American filmmakers.
(Arun Kumar can be contacted at firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Indian American director's thriller wins two US awards - Aug 28, 2012
- Indian American director's thriller wins another US award - Sep 14, 2012
- Indian American director's thriller wins award - May 22, 2012
- Indian American filmmaker wins award - Mar 03, 2012
- First South Asian film festival in Washington next month - May 08, 2012
- 'Life! Camera Action...' nominated for Washington fest - Apr 25, 2011
- Washington hosts first South Asian film festival - Jun 04, 2012
- First South Asian film fest concludes in Washington (Lead) - Jun 04, 2012
- '9 Eleven' - A Bollywood recipe prepared in US - Dec 27, 2010
- 'Bollywood meets Hollywood' to raise funds for Punjab eye hospital - Jul 10, 2010
- 9 Eleven Is A Fast-Paced Thriller With An Undertone Of Terrorism - Dec 27, 2010
- Music, adventure and more at Gulmarg Winter Festival - Feb 28, 2012
- Reliance DreamWorks films get 11 Oscar nominations - Jan 25, 2012
- Anil Ambani walks Oscar red carpet, his 'The Help' gets statuette (With Images) - Feb 27, 2012
- French film 'The Artist' leads 69 Golden Globe Awards nomination - Dec 16, 2011
Tags: american director, american filmmakers, arun kumar, best screenplay, best supporting actor, best supporting actress, east asian film, feature film award, film community, global film, horror thriller, imdb, independent film festival, international film festival, paced thriller, silicon india, south east asian, southeast asian film, star award, unfamiliar place