In Bollywood, it’s a man’s world: Bipasha BasuMay 12th, 2009 - 8:53 am ICT by IANS
By Subhash K. Jha
Mumbai, May 12 (IANS) She was ignored in part two of 2002 movie “Raaz” and now she is not in the sequel of last year’s hit thriller “Race”. But Bipasha Basu is not complaining and says it’s a tradition in Bollywood not to repeat actresses in sequels.
“I heard even Abbas-Mustan are not doing ‘Race 2′. If the original directors are not doing the sequel, who am I? I haven’t been approached for ‘Race 2′. That’s fine,” Bipasha told IANS.
“In Bollywood, the heroines are never signed for sequels. It’s a tradition. Just check the sequels. The guys get repeated. The girls don’t. It’s a man’s world. I don’t feel like a second citizen for that. When ‘Raaz 2′ was made everyone kept asking why I wasn’t in it. But I never worried about that. No point in crying about it,” she added.
The original “Raaz” starred Bipasha with Dino Morea and was directed by Vikram Bhatt. Part two, titled “Raaz - The Mystery Continues”, featured Kangana Ranaut, Adhyayan Suman and Emraan Hashmi. Directed by Mohit Suri, the horror thriller was released early this year and did satisfactory business at the ticket window.
Spurned by the “Race” producers, Tips Films, Abbas-Mustan are planning to revive their long-forgotten shelved project “Mr. Fraud” for Shree Ashtavinayak Cinevision Ltd and the actress says she will be really happy if the film sees the light of day.
“If ‘Mr. Fraud’ is revived, I’d be happy to give dates. The film was shot in London and the styling was not time-bound,” she said.
Bipasha has also just signed her second comedy. Coincidentally it reprises the “Mr. Fraud” trio - Sanjay Dutt, Ajay Devgan and Bipasha.
“That’s right Sanjay, Ajay and I are together again in ‘All The Best’. This is the one film I’ll enjoy doing. I had a ball doing ‘No Entry’. Initially I had too many inhibitions about Bollywood. ‘No Entry’ made me drop those inhibitions. I’m sure Rohit Shetty’s ‘All The Best’ will make me more uninhibited. It’s a fun film and I don’t have to always do roles that reflect my personality. Sometimes it’s fun to do a fun film,” said the actress.
Bipasha has signed only one film this year.
“I don’t want do any more work than my pace allows me. I don’t want to compete with anybody. I’ve made a niche right from my first film. I’m Bipasha Basu. I don’t think there’s any replacement for that. I enjoy my work.
“But there so much more to my vocation as an actor than just acting. I can do stage shows, be a businesswoman, work for social causes. I keep busy 24×7. At this stage of my life I don’t need to sit and pine for a role,” Bipasha said.
(Subhash K. Jha can be contacted at email@example.com)
- Bipasha : "So What If I'm Out Of Race?" - May 11, 2009
- Bipasha's new year resolution - be a harmless liar - Dec 26, 2011
- Bipasha thanks Bobby, Akshay for career - Dec 26, 2011
- Both commercial, serious films important for me: Emraan Hashmi - Sep 09, 2012
- Emraan Hashmi done with sequels - Sep 05, 2012
- I'm open to criticism: Sikander Kher - Nov 19, 2011
- 'Dedh Ishqiya' shoot to begin September (Movie Snippets) - May 09, 2012
- Hema Malini all for anti-ageing techniques (Movie Snippets) - Mar 17, 2012
- Sonakshi on weight lose spree for 'Race 2' - Feb 03, 2011
- 'Raaz 3' shows actors' struggle in life - Aug 01, 2012
- 'Race 2' to hit screens Nov 2012 - Nov 22, 2011
- Bipasha scared of her own laughter - Jul 31, 2012
- Abbas-Mustan keen to make TV show - Mar 14, 2012
- Bipasha to stars: do issue-based films for free - Aug 31, 2010
- Another horror film for Bipasha? - Sep 20, 2012
Tags: abbas mustan, ajay devgan, ashtavinayak, bipasha basu, dino morea, emraan hashmi, heroines, horror thriller, inhibitions, kangana ranaut, mohit suri, mumbai, raaz 2, sanjay dutt, sequel, sequels, subhash k jha, suman, ticket window, tips films