‘Immortals’ opens on a strong note at the box officeNovember 15th, 2011 - 12:23 am ICT by Aishwarya Bhatt
Los Angeles, Nov 14 (THAINDIAN NEWS) The ancient Greek-inspired movie Immortals opened strongly at the North America Box Office. The movie is based on the life story of Theseus.
The movie grossed $32 million on its first weekend at the US Box Office to finish at the top of the list. The movie stars British star Henry Cavill. Analysts believe that the movie has revived the interest in action movies.
Recent performances of action movies have caused some experts to worry about the future of the genre. With the performance of Immortals, Kyle Davies of Relativity Media explained that, “People were concerned action fans were staying away from the cinema… They definitely came out in force for Immortals.”
Adam Sandler’s comedy Jack and Jill came in second at the Box Office list. The movie grossed $26 million on its opening weekend with animation Puss in Boots coming in the third position. The movie had enjoyed two weekends at the top of the chart.
Hollywood.com movie analyst Paul Dergarabedian explained that, “To me, this is what the holiday season is all about, having films like Immortals in the mix in the top five with a drama like J Edgar.”
The top five list at the Box Office was completed by Eddie Murphy’s Tower Heist and Leonard DiCaprio’s J. Edgar.
- 'The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn - Part I' rakes in $283 million - Nov 21, 2011
- Tarsem Singh's 3D epic tops box office in North America - Nov 13, 2011
- 'The Green Hornet' tops weekend box-office - Jan 17, 2011
- Indian director, British actor's mutual admiration society - Nov 04, 2011
- 'The Help' is on top of the US Box Office - Sep 06, 2011
- Avatar breaks Titanic box office record - Jan 27, 2010
- Twilight Stars To Get $25 Million Each For 'Breaking Dawn' - Jul 07, 2010
- 'The Grey' sets box office on fire over the weekend - Jan 30, 2012
- Stewart, Pattinson, Lautner 'to earn $25m for 'Breaking Dawn' - Jul 06, 2010
- Megamind upstages Unstoppable in the box office test - Nov 15, 2010
- Forbes names Will Ferrell 'Most Overpaid Star' again - Nov 06, 2010
- Rajasthan-set 'Marigold Hotel' makes top 10 in US - May 15, 2012
- Avatar poised to overtake Titanic at global box-office - Jan 25, 2010
- Wall Street Money Never Sleeps Becomes No. 1 At The Domestic Box Office - Sep 27, 2010
- Facebook, Twitter help low-budget film break into US box office top five - Oct 13, 2009
Tags: action fans, adam sandler, animation, british star, comedy, eddie murphy, edgar, genre, heist, henry cavill, holiday season, jack and jill, kyle davies, leonard dicaprio, paul dergarabedian, puss in boots, relativity media, story of theseus, third position, us box office