I’m traumatised after lathicharge: Choreographer SalmanSeptember 11th, 2012 - 6:10 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, Sep 11 (IANS) Choreographer Salman Yusuf Khan, who was allegedly assaulted by a police constable when the auto rickshaw he was travelling in did not stop at a check post here, says he is in a state of shock and trying to return to normal.
Salman has become a known face on the small screen after his fabulous choreography and dance performances with his celebrity partner Esha Sharvani on the ongoing dance reality show “Jhalak Dikhhla Jaa”. The incident took place in Goregaon Monday while he was returning home after wrapping up his rehearsals for the show.
“I was traumatised and was in a state of shock post the incident. In fact, yesterday I was running all around and met a few cops to sort the issue out. I am still in a state of shock trying to get back to normal life,” said Salman alleging that the cop was drunk.
“I have nothing against the cop. My only issue was that the cop on duty was drunk. But I owe a big thank you to Mr. Himanshu Roy, joint commissioner of police (crime), who helped us a lot and took it to the next level,” he said.
Around 2.30 a.m. Salman along with his assistant Shubo Das and help Mukesh Agarwal was going from Filmistan Studio to his place in Malad in an auto as his car has gone for servicing. A policeman at the Ratna Hotel check-post stopped the auto rickshaw.
“My auto rickshaw guy didn’t have a licence, so he didn’t stop when he saw the ‘nakabandi’ and speeded up the rickshaw, so the cop hit the windshield with a ‘lathi’. When the constable hit the windshield, the driver jumped out and started running.”
“I waited outside the auto till the constable caught hold of the driver and brought him back. I was appalled to see the constable thrashing the auto driver. When I protested, the cop and the biker then proceeded to attack me, claiming that the auto driver had speeded up on my instructions,” he added.
Salman went to the Goregaon police station and filed a written complaint against the constable.
Confirming the same, Arun Jadhav, senior inspector of police, told IANS: “Mr. Salman Yusuf Khan has filed a complaint against a constable named Suresh Gurav on Monday evening. We have recorded his statement and sent the reports to the superior to take action against him. We are waiting for the reply.”
- Auto-rickshaw driver sets traffic policeman on fire in Thane - Oct 28, 2010
- Two critical in Mumbai drunk driving accident - Apr 01, 2012
- Auto driver who set cop ablaze arrested - Oct 28, 2010
- Serial killer arrested in Ahmedabad - Mar 05, 2011
- 30-year-old auto rickshaws banned in Pakistani city - Jul 22, 2012
- Bengal comes out with directives for cabs, auto rickshaws - Aug 22, 2012
- Four dead in freak multi-vehicle accident (Lead) - Aug 06, 2011
- Woman gangraped, dies in Ranchi hospital - Apr 23, 2012
- MBA student killed while speeding on Delhi road (Lead) - Apr 13, 2012
- MBA student killed while speeding on Delhi road (Second Lead) - Apr 14, 2012
- Fatally hurt, but Chinese driver saves lives - Jun 04, 2012
- Pune hosts auto rickshaw accessories show - Aug 08, 2010
- Man arrested for snatching foreigner's bag - Nov 11, 2011
- Strike takes autos off Delhi roads, commuters hit - Feb 28, 2012
- Kolkata engineer designs wonder rickshaw (With Images) - Jun 15, 2012
Tags: auto driver, auto rickshaw, choreographer, choreography, commissioner of police, dance performances, goregaon, himanshu, hotel check, lathi, malad, police constable, police crime, police station, rehearsals, returning home, sep 11, state of shock, windshield, yusuf khan