I’m the first Indian to be the face of Barbie: Katrina KaifMarch 29th, 2009 - 12:43 pm ICT by IANS
By Subhash K. Jha
Mumbai, March 29 (IANS) British-born actress Katrina Kaif, whose face will now adorn Barbie dolls, says contrary to what people believe her Barbie is not an Indian counterpart of the international brand. She also feels that in many ways it’s an endorsement of how kids connect with her.
“I’d call it a fun honour. To have your face on dolls that you’ve played with from childhood is quite flattering. We’ve been in negotiation for nearly six months. It finally came together for the 50-year celebration of Barbie,” Katrina told IANS.
“Contrary to what people believe my Barbie is not an Indian counterpart of the international brand. It’s an honour because I’m the first Indian to be the face of Barbie. I’ll be dressed the way the Barbie is all over the world.
“And I think in many ways it’s an endorsement of how kids connect with me. You can’t be the face of an international doll unless kids like you. I like that. The thought that kids like me enough to make me a part of their doll collection is very gratifying,” the 24-year-old said.
The actress walked the ramp as the showstopper at a special show dedicated to Barbie at the Lakme Fashion Week here. She sported a small pink dress that the ‘Katrina Barbie’ will be wearing from September.
With the Barbie image coming to the surface, Katrina is a little worried about the bubbly-girl image that she’d like to change.
“So much for my attempts to move to more mature level as an actor,” laughed the actress. “I guess Prakash Jha’s ‘Rajneeti’ will take care of that. But I’m very happy being the clean healthy Barbie-girl next door.”
The doll’s look and dress were planned in collaboration with Katrina.
“It is quite something, if you think about it. But I’d rather not. I don’t want my head to get swollen. For me, it’s enough that I was chosen because I reflect a certain bubbly wholesome personality, quite contrary to the ’sexy’ tag that I get in net polls and which I’m not very comfortable with,” she said.
Apart from “Rajneeti”, Katrina’s other releases this year are debutant director Anthony D’Souza’s underwater thriller “Blue” and Yash Raj Films’ “New York”.
- Katrina Will Be The Face Of The Barbie Doll From This September - Mar 30, 2009
- Katrina launches Barbie doll inspired by her - May 05, 2011
- Katrina Barbie arrives in India - Nov 19, 2009
- Katrina turns Cinderella, Red Riding Hood (With Images) - Apr 19, 2012
- My mom inspires me: Hudgens - Feb 06, 2012
- Barbie Katrina to be launched in December - Nov 20, 2009
- Katrina's Desi Barbie To Become Available Worldwide - Aug 25, 2010
- As a filmmaker I do not believe in showing solutions to problems because I am not God. - May 28, 2010
- Emily still dreams of joining circus - Mar 16, 2012
- Emily Blunt wanted to be a boy - Dec 20, 2010
- When superstar Katrina Kaif was turned away from UK modeling contract - Dec 19, 2010
- Emily Blunt wants to be part of circus - Mar 18, 2012
- The Way the Actors Are Linked By the Media Makes Me Wonder Whether I Am Working in 'Film' Industry or 'Dating' Industry! - Katrina Kaif - Apr 30, 2010
- Minaj finds it boring to look sexy - Feb 15, 2012
- Katrina Kaif: The Perfect Barbie Doll! - Nov 25, 2010
Tags: barbie dolls, barbie girl, born actress, doll collection, endorsement, girl image, girl next door, honour, indian counterpart, international doll, katrina kaif, lakme fashion week, mature level, mumbai, negotiation, pink dress, ramp, showstopper, six months, subhash k jha