I’m not being choosy, there were no good offers: Suniel ShettyAugust 17th, 2008 - 9:46 am ICT by IANS
By Robin Bansal
New Delhi, Aug 17 (IANS) Actor Suniel Shetty says that he’s doing fewer movies these days because he hasn’t got any exciting offers, not because he has become finicky about roles. “The truth is that since the last year or so, I haven’t got good film offers at all. Trash was coming to me in the name of scripts. I am not insecure that I would go for any role. I’m in a position now that I don’t need to compromise,” Suniel told IANS in an interview.
The actor also talked about the nearly two-year break he took from films.
“I took a sabbatical for a year and a half and that is when people in the industry realised my worth. I have some good films now, both as an actor and a producer, and I am very happy.”
Suniel turned producer in 2003 with his own production banner “Popcorn Motion Pictures”. His first two productions were “Khel” and “Rakht”, which turned out to be box-office duds.
He then took a much-needed break and returned with comedy film “Bhagam Bhag” in 2006 that turned out be a big hit.
Though his latest venture with Apoorva Lakhia - “Mission Istanbul” - did not fare well, Suniel said that he had no plans of quitting as a producer.
“Popcorn Motion Pictures is my obsession. I started my career as a businessman with a restaurant and garment business. But Suniel Shetty - the businessman - can take over only movies and not any other venture,” said the actor who was here to launch his fashion apparel house ‘Crossover Bollywood Se’.
Suniel, who entered filmdom as an action hero with “Balwaan” (1992), feels that the dynamics of action in films have changed over the years.
He said: “Action has risen to a different level. Today it is mostly special effects. We used to perform our stunts on our own and today the actors use all kinds of props. There lies a difference between men and boys now.”
But the 47-year-old actor, known for his macho image, couldn’t stop praising the women who performed daring stunts in action reality show “Fear Factor: Khatron Ke Khiladi” that was hosted by Akshay Kumar.
“After watching the show, I think guys should stop talking about action and start getting inspired from women,” he remarked.
Asked how he had evolved as an actor over the 16 years he’s worked in Bollywood, Suniel said: “I’ve learnt a lot. Today I understand my character. I have tried my hand at everything from action, romance to comedy. I’m the only actor to have worked with over 90 directors and different roles.”
He added: “Money comes last and self-respect comes first for me. I want to have goodwill in the industry. I’m only looking forward to people appreciating my work in the future.”
His future projects as a producer include “EMI”, “Mumbai Chaka Chak” and “Loot”.
And as an actor he would be seen in films like “Paathshaala”, “Chai Garam”, “Blue”, “Daddy Cool”, “Red Alert - The War Within” and “International Hera Pheri”.
- Producer's job not my cup of tea: Suniel Shetty - Nov 12, 2011
- No direction plans for Suniel Shetty - Jul 02, 2012
- Suniel Shetty: The Action Hero Will Be Back With His Next Film - Jan 03, 2011
- Missed me doing action? Coming back soon, says Suniel Shetty - Jan 03, 2011
- Sunil Shetty Turns Over A New Leaf - Aug 12, 2010
- Akshay is the fittest actor in Bollywood: Suniel Shetty - Jan 26, 2009
- Award at New York fest inspires Suniel Shetty - Nov 11, 2009
- Chitrangada not my muse, asserts Sudhir Mishra (Movie Snippets) - Jan 17, 2011
- Don't call Chitrangada my muse: Sudhir Mishra (Movie Snippets) (Lead) - Jan 17, 2011
- Big B recreates 'My name is Anthony Gonsalves' - May 08, 2012
- Is Suniel Shetty Really The Most Professional Actor In Bollywood? - Dec 11, 2010
- I'd love to play Salim in 'Mughal-e-Azam' remake: Jackie Shroff (Movie Snippets) - Dec 16, 2010
- Very few comedies are worth watching now: Suniel Shetty - Aug 27, 2009
- I'm ready for another innings in action: Akshay Kumar - Mar 27, 2012
- 'No Entry' sequel not called 'Be Positive': Anil Kapoor (Movie Snippets) - Jan 12, 2011
Tags: action hero, apoorva lakhia, bansal, bhag, businessman, comedy film, crossover, daring stunts, duds, fashion apparel, filmdom, garment business, good films, khel, macho image, motion pictures, only movies, rakht, special effects, suniel shetty