I’m actually taller than Deepika, says Farhan AkhtarMay 17th, 2009 - 10:44 am ICT by IANS
By Subhash K. Jha
Mumbai, May 17 (IANS) Bollywood actors aren’t normally comfortable pairing up with tall actresses, but director-turned-actor Farhan Akhtar had no problems working with Deepika Padukone in “Kartik Calling Kartik” and says she isn’t taller than him as believed by many.
The fun element spilt over on the sets of “Kartik Calling Kartik” when Deepika decided to end the controversy about how tall she is.
“So far I presumed she was taller. I had even measured her height on my talk show ‘Oye! It’s Friday’ and I was okay with the fact that she looked taller than me. I’ve absolutely no problem being shorter than my heroine,” Farhan told IANS.
“She made me stand next to her. And to my surprise she turned out to be no taller. In fact, maybe I’m a half inch taller than her. Deepika says she isn’t as tall as she looks. It comes from having long legs I guess,” he added.
Farhan, who debuted as an actor with hit flick “Rock On!” last year, admits he is having a ball shooting for director Vijay Lalvani’s “Kartik Calling Kartik”.
“My earlier films were somehow connected with the entertainment industry and therefore they had a direct or indirect bearing on my life. But in ‘Kartik Calling Kartik’ I’m totally out of character. Also, in all my films so far I play a troubled introvert. In ‘Kartik…’ I start off as an introvert and then become a totally flamboyant guy. It’s fun,” he said.
But at the same time he is itching to get back to direction.
“Given a chance I’d like to direct a film this year. Unfortunately ‘Voice From The Sky’ didn’t work out and I start ‘Don 2′ next year,” said Farhan, who has directed films like “Dil Chahta Hai” (2001), “Lakshya” (2004) and “Don - The Chase Begins Again” (2006).
While Farhan’s father Javed Akhtar scripted his version of “Don”, a remake of the 1978 Amitabh Bachchan-starrer of the same name, the sequel is Farhan’s idea.
“When I opted for an open ending in ‘Don’ I wasn’t leaving room for a sequel. I just wanted to show that the protagonist is cleverer than everyone else. But now that ending comes in handy to carry the story forward into a sequel,” he said.
Farhan confirms that the film will star Shah Rukh and Priyanka Chopra. “But there are lots of supporting cast that will change.”
- Farhan Measures Up To Deepika's Heights - May 16, 2009
- Does Farhan have a double role in 'Karthik...'? - Feb 13, 2010
- Sushant Singh Rajput in movie version of '3 Mistakes Of My Life'? - Apr 30, 2012
- For 'Karthik...', Farhan learnt to cycle - Jan 20, 2010
- 'Singh Is Kinng 2' happening for sure: Vipul Shah (Movie Snippets) - Nov 29, 2010
- Shah Rukh's 'Don 2' is a cool thriller (IANS Hindi Movie Review) - Dec 24, 2011
- Friends eased pain when parents divorced: Farhan Akhtar (Interview) - Jul 22, 2011
- Farhan Akhtar to have a double role in Karthik Calling Karthik? - Feb 02, 2010
- 'Zindagi Na...' sequel not necessary: Farhan Akhtar - Jun 11, 2012
- Karthik Calling Karthik wasn't easy for Farhan - Feb 13, 2010
- Farhan Akhtar shifts gears between acting and direction - Feb 04, 2010
- My audience believes I can fly: SRK - Dec 20, 2011
- I want to take 'Don' forward: Farhan Akhtar - Dec 20, 2011
- Unusual pairings: The new recipe in Bollywood - Jun 19, 2012
- Love stories good, but I want to experiment: Imran Khan (Interview) - Dec 06, 2010
Tags: actresses, amitabh bachchan, bearing, bollywood actors, chase, controversy, deepika padukone, entertainment industry, flick, having a ball, heroine, introvert, javed akhtar, lakshya, lalvani, long legs, mumbai, sequel, subhash k jha, talk show