I’ll always be there for Shekhar Kapur: Preity ZintaJuly 1st, 2008 - 9:04 am ICT by IANS
By Devapriyo Bhattacharjee
Mumbai, July 1 (IANS) Controversies aside, actress-cum-business woman Preity Zinta says she has the deepest respect for internationally acclaimed director Shekhar Kapur and that she will be always there for him. “Shekhar is very special to me because he is the one who brought me into this industry. Though that film did not take off, I will always be grateful to him for bringing me to the film industry. I have great respect for him and I will always be there for him,” Preity told IANS in an interview.
Kapur, whose ex-wife Suchitra Krishnamurthy blamed Preity for her divorce, had signed the actress for “Ta Ra Rum Pum” that was to be directed by Vishal Bharadwaj.
“But the film never took off due to some problems. We sat for a few meetings and worked on the scripts but things did not fall in place so we just let it go,” Preity said.
Is she doing any film with him now? “No, he did not approach me again.”
What are the films that Preity is working on now?
“I have a lot of films which I have completed shooting for.”
Preity said she has completed Jahnu Barua’s “Har Pal”, Rituparno Ghosh’s English film “The Last Lear”, Samir Karnik’s “Heroes” and Deepa Mehta’s Punjabi film “Heaven On Earth”.
Out of these, Preity considers “Heaven On Earth” as the most intense film of her career.
“It is the best film I have ever done. If I am 80-years-old and if someone asks me which film do you want to show people, I would say ‘Heaven On Earth’.
“Though ‘Har Pal’ and ‘Heroes’ are also very close to my heart, I think ‘Heaven On Earth’ was altogether a different journey for me.”
The film has a host of award-winning actors from stage and is expected to hit the marquee later this year.
As far as “Har Pal” is concerned, Preity said she had a great time working with legendary actor Dharmendra.
“It was a lifetime experience of working with Dharamji and I had a blast with my co-star Isha Koppikar. The script is 200 percent original. Every one would think that ‘Har Pal’ is a serious movie, but let me tell you that it is a hilarious film with the right emotions.”
What about your relations with ‘Har Pal’ co-star Shiney Ahuja?
“Relations are fine with him, but we are not best friends. He is a good co-star.”
The actress, who has featured in commercially successful films like “Dil Chahta Hai”, “Koi… Mil Gaya” and “Kal Ho Naa Ho”, thanks Bengali director Rituparno Ghosh for introducing her to meaningful cinema.
“He opened the doors to working in meaningful films. I want that when I look back after 10 or 20 years, I don’t have only ‘masala’ films to my credit. I want to see myself as part of meaningful films as well. It is because of him that I got ‘Heaven On Earth’ and I want to thank him for that.”
In “The Last Lear”, Preity teams up with Amitabh Bachchan, Arjun Rampal, Divya Dutta and Shefali Shah.
About “Heroes”, Preity said it is a multi-starrer - a new genre of film with separate stories that have a common connection.
Besides Preity, it also stars Salman Khan, Sunny Deol, Bobby Deol, Mithun Chakraborty, Sohail Khan, Dino Morea, Vatsal Sheth, Amrita Arora and Riya Sen.
- Can't think 'Mr.India 2' without Amrish Puri: Shekhar Kapur (Movie Snippets) - Jun 23, 2012
- Preity finds her junior version (Movie Snippets) - Jun 28, 2012
- Will be back in business with lots of movies: Preity Zinta - Jan 05, 2010
- Shekhar Kapur inspired Prosenjit's look in 'Shanghai' - Apr 20, 2012
- Sharman learns to toss egg omelette (Movie Snippets) - May 25, 2012
- Aishwarya Rai Bachchan Is Keen To Work With Rituporno Ghosh Again! - Nov 17, 2010
- Preity feels thinnest, loses 10 kg in two years - Sep 01, 2012
- Salman is Preity's first guest on SRK's show - Aug 30, 2011
- Jagjit Singh brought soul to film songs, says Bollywood - Oct 10, 2011
- 'Daayan' a supernatural mystery, not horror film: Kalki - Mar 01, 2012
- Nusrat brought me closer to god: Shekhar Kapur - Nov 06, 2011
- Anil Kapoor's Gandhi Did Not Deserve The National Award - Sep 25, 2009
- B-Town wishes Eid Mubarak - Aug 19, 2012
- Aishwarya Rai Bachchan’s Gain Is Katrina Kaif’s Loss! - Dec 08, 2010
- B-wood mourns Dara Singh's death - Jul 12, 2012
Tags: actor dharmendra, bharadwaj, bhattacharjee, business woman, deepa mehta, dharmendra, different journey, director shekhar kapur, english film, film heaven, ghosh, heaven on earth, isha koppikar, legendary actor, lifetime experience, preity zinta, samir karnik, shekhar kapur, suchitra krishnamurthy, ta ra rum pum