IIJW’s opening show blends glamour with causeJuly 31st, 2011 - 7:09 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, July 31 (IANS) Jewellery show for a cause. Actresses Bipasha Basu, Soha Ali Khan, Riya Sen and others walked the ramp on the opening day of the second season of the India International Jewellery Week (IIJW) Sunday to support Beti, a campaign against female foeticide.
As many as 40 celebrities, including actress Mahie Gill and TV stars Smita Bansal, Avika Gor, Deepshika and Poonam Soni, sashayed down the ramp sporting a collection of diamond and kundan ornaments by Gitanjali Jewels to lend their name to the cause Beti.
Beti is supported by the United Nations Population Fund (UNFPA).
The highlight of the show was Bipasha who came with her mother. Dressed in a peach, net, embellished sari, Bipasha flaunted a diamond necklace and earrings. Her mother also wore the similar diamond necklace and earrings in traditional paisley pattern.
The actress broke into a jig at the end of her round.
“This is the first time that I walked the ramp with my mother. It was a great experience and I loved it,” Bipasha told IANS.
At the opening day Geetanjali showcased their diamond and kundan collection and designers Pria Kataria Puri and Neeta Lulla took care of the wardrobe for the show.
To add an edge to the show, Raageshwari Loomba and Kavita Seth were roped in to perfrom. They enthralled the audiences with Sufi numbers “Laal meri” and “Kinna sona tenu rab nay banaya” respectively.
The opening show, organised by the Gem and Jewellery Promotion Council (GJEPC), will go on till Thursday and will showcase designs of 35 designers and jewellery houses.
“With the tremendous success of the first India International Jewellery Week, the stage is now set for 2011, promising to be bigger in grandeur with amazing talents and creativity displayed for the Indian and International market,” said Rajiv Jain, chairman GJEPC.
- Bipasha to walk the ramp with mother - Jul 31, 2011
- Kalki gets her own 'Senorita' moment on the ramp - Aug 02, 2011
- Sonam brings the curtains down on Jewellery Week - Aug 05, 2011
- Alpana to showcase garden-themed jewellery at IIJW (With Images) - Aug 02, 2011
- Bollywood's women power dazzles at IIJW - Aug 03, 2011
- Try a kundan choker with that gown (Feature) - Aug 09, 2011
- Jewellery week ends with Bollywood beauties stealing show - Aug 20, 2010
- Exquisite jewellery with Bollywood glam sums up IIJW (Review) - Aug 05, 2011
- Kangana dazzles in Rajasthani jewellery - Aug 01, 2011
- Bollywood glitters at India's first jewellery week inaugural - Aug 15, 2010
- Sonam Kapoor becomes face of India International Jewellery Week - Jun 07, 2011
- Zeenat outshines Mahima at IIJW - Aug 02, 2011
- Indian jewellery showcased at US show - Jun 02, 2012
- Jewellery week a big platform for us: Designers - Aug 19, 2010
- Geeta Basra walks the ramp as showstopper at IIJW - Jul 31, 2011
Tags: avika, deepshika, diamond necklace, female foeticide, geetanjali, gitanjali jewels, gjepc, international jewellery, kataria, kundan, loomba, nations population fund, neeta lulla, paisley pattern, rajiv jain, riya sen, showcase designs, smita bansal, soha ali khan, united nations population fund