Ideas about item numbers have not changed: Aruna IraniAugust 19th, 2012 - 5:42 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Aug 19 (IANS) Aruna Irani once sizzled on silver screen with item numbers such as “Chadti Jawaani”. She says people’s ideas about item numbers have not changed much despite all these years.
“Item numbers were there in our time as well. At that time people used to say we are wearing less clothes… The same thing is happening now,” Aruna told IANS.
She feels people’s mindset towards items songs have not changed much.
“In those days when we used to wear enough clothes, still item songs were considered taboo. Now when actresses are wearing skimpy clothes for itme songs, it is still considered taboo.”
When it comes to variety, Aruna has done it all - from playing lead role opposite Amitabh Bahchan in “Bombay to Goa” to a vamp in “Carvan” to character role in “Beta”.
The 60-year-old has not confined herself to big screen.
She made a successful foray into the TV industry and made a mark by acting, producing and directing TV show “Des Mein Nikla Hoga Chand”. Later she produced “Vaidehi” and even acted in it.
In recent times, she has been part of “Main Lakshmi Tere Aangan Ki”, “Dekha Ek Khwaab” and “Jhansi Ki Rani”.
Now she has joined the cast of show,”Parichay: Nayee Zindagi Kay Sapno Ka” on Colours television as Sulekha Diwan, and is enjoying the show that has taken a 10-year leap.
She enjoys working in TV shows but rues about one disadvantage of working in daily soaps.
“I am comfortable both ways but I feel TV serial is much better. The only time I do not like the TV serial is when it comes to deadlines.
“If you have viral fever for two days, you cannot take a break because the telecast is today and you have to shoot at any cost,” she said.
- 'Men getting their due on small screen' - Jul 21, 2011
- Pledge to be responsible citizens: TV stars - Aug 15, 2011
- No Bollywood roles for middle aged women: Aruna Irani (Interview) - Nov 08, 2011
- Character rules small screen, not story: Samir Soni (With Images) - Aug 16, 2012
- Item numbers spicing up small screen too! - Jan 09, 2011
- Sunidhi dislikes tagging songs as 'item numbers' - May 29, 2012
- Item songs have become first look of films: Sunidhi - Apr 08, 2012
- Popular Hindi songs, now titles of TV shows - Jan 04, 2012
- Khadi, Gandhi topis at James Ferreira's show - Oct 12, 2011
- Katrina as 'Chikni chameli' in 'Agneepath' - Nov 15, 2011
- No daily soaps for me: Gaurav Gera (TV Snippets) - Mar 30, 2012
- Rakhi Sawant says Katrina follows her dance moves - Dec 19, 2011
- Sonakshi remains a 'bathroom singer'! (Movie Snippets) - Aug 15, 2012
- Neha teams up with Jimmy for 'Rangeeley' (Movie Snippets) - Sep 03, 2012
- Itsy-bitsy cholis spice up Bollywood (Feature) - Dec 03, 2011
Tags: aruna irani, carvan, character role, daily soaps, diwan, foray, goa, jhansi, lakshmi, lead role, mindset, New Delhi, rues, silver screen, skimpy clothes, tv industry, tv serial, vamp, viral fever, zindagi