“I will expose nexus between male prostitution and cops” - OnirMay 22nd, 2009 - 12:51 pm ICT by Sampurn Wire
By Joginder Tuteja
A little while back, film maker Onir had announced that he would be telling five short stories in a single movie. While he is currently casting for his film(s) and is looking at kick starting the principal shoot in the 1st week of June, he is managing to create quite some buzz with the themes that his stories are going to explore. Earlier in news for his story ‘Abhimanyu’ that touches upon the subject of child abuse, Onir’s second short film ‘Omar’ promises to reveal the nexus between police and male sex workers which has time and again resulted in blackmail and abuse of gay men on the pretext of using article 377.
Says Onir, “All that my character of ‘Omar’ wants is FREEOM to LOVE We hear stories about male prostitution and how cops support or go against it as per their will. I am looking at exposing this nexus because time and again one sees gay men in the line of fire. I want to bring that out in open.”
Revealing plans around the casting of his film, Onir says, “I want ‘audiences’ to watch the film, not just film festivals jury. I want the film to see a proper theatrical release. This is why there would be a mix of known and new actors in the film. Each of the stories would have a combo made of one established actor and a newcomer. This is a unique platform and I want to leverage the most out of it.”
While Ram Gopal Varma had picked on horror genre for DARNA ZAROORI HAI and DARNA MANA HAI, Sanjay Gupta had mixed genres ranging from drama to action in his ambitious DUS KAHANIYAAN. Each of these films were made of multiple short stories.
“Each of my short stories are going to be dramatic affairs and would be directed by me”, says Onir who has excelled in this genre ever since he made his directorial debut with MY BROTHER NIKHIL, “Also, all the five stories would be based on real life tales.”
Onir has already written the script for three stories and is in the process of finalising the remaining two. Titles finalised for the first three stories are ‘Abhimanyu’, ‘Omar’ and ‘Afia’.
“Each of my short stories would be content oriented rather than being gimmicky or trying to be overtly issue based. I can promise though that all these subjects are the kind that have never been touched in Hindi films”, he proudly declares.
One can’t help but ask on a parting note - ‘What prompted him to go for a short story format?’
Reveals Onir, “In my recent visit to Berlin, I started writing one of these short films. At that time my idea was to just make on such film. However, during writing I started getting more ideas that could be translated into short films. So I said to myself, ‘Why not bring them all together in 20 minutes format? This way we could have an entire film for an audience with as many as five stories to be told’” -Sampurn Media
- After RGV and Sanjay Gupta, Onir tells his short stories - Apr 28, 2009
- 'I Am' was most difficult to make: Onir - Mar 07, 2012
- 'I AM' to be screened in Spain film fest - Oct 23, 2011
- Onir releases 'I AM' trailer on You Tube - Mar 27, 2011
- Juhi Chawla joins as associate producer for 'I Am' - Jan 19, 2011
- Filmy Ex-Politician takes law in hands - Aug 07, 2009
- 'I AM': unique rhythm, different mood textures (IANS Movie Review - Rating: ****) - Apr 28, 2011
- Communication gap with Nandita helped our chemistry in 'I AM': Purab - Apr 29, 2011
- Onir has big plans - May 15, 2009
- Juhi Chawla To Re-Enter Production With Onir’s 'I Am' Series - Jan 20, 2011
- Doing child abuse scenes disturbed Anurag Kashyap: Director Onir (Interview) - May 03, 2010
- Onir is on cloud 9! - Dec 07, 2009
- Onir's 'I Am' heads to Rotterdam film fest before release - Dec 05, 2009
- Director Nishikanth Kamath plays mind games in '404' - May 09, 2011
- Child abuse victim conveys his trauma through Onir's 'I AM' - May 01, 2011
Tags: blackmail, brother nikhil, darna mana hai, darna zaroori hai, directorial debut, dramatic affairs, dus kahaniyaan, film festivals, film maker, horror genre, joginder, line of fire, male prostitution, male sex workers, nexus, pretext, ram gopal varma, sanjay gupta, short film, theatrical release