I was skeptical about walking the ramp: Sharmila TagoreJuly 25th, 2011 - 12:02 am ICT by IANS
New Delhi, July 24 (IANS) Veteran actress Sharmila Tagore, who modelled for designer duo Ashima-Leena on the third day of the Synergy1 Delhi Couture Week (DCW) Sunday, said that she was initially not comfortable walking the ramp.
“I was initially skeptical walking the ramp because I am more of a sari person and carrying a ghagra was bit uncomfortable. However the designers had to convince me a lot to wear the outfit and suggested to experiment with my looks. Also I am glad I didn’t trip and fall,” said Sharmila who wore a heavily embroidered golden and white ghaghra teamed up with potli (bag) in her hand.
Titled “Adaa”, Ashima-Leena showcased a collection which was a mix of peshwaz kurtas teamed up with ghagras, drapes over churidaars, dupattas, lehangas and saris. The colour palette varied from gold, muted bright colours, pinks, peachy roses, soft blues, soothing greens, red and beige on brocade chiffon and nets.
The show started with three Kathak dancers performing live in front of audience which set the mood of the theme. The music was the highpoint of the collection with “Sajdaa”, “Lal More” and other Sufi songs playing in the background.
Asked about choosing Sharmila as a showstopper, Leena said: “She is the epitome of our designs and we can’t think of any other person who could carry the same grace as her.”
The designer duo, who made an effort to revive the lost charm of Indian culture, used heavy jewellery like neckpieces, ear-rings, mang-tikas and ankle rings that added an elegance to the entire outfit.
Sharmila, who was looking as graceful as ever, added: “Our country is full of tradition and heritage and it’s great to see the designers coming up with themes which symbolizes the rich Indian culture.”
- Walking the ramp is fun for me: Sharmila Tagore - Aug 09, 2012
- Bridal collection, Bollywood dominated DCW (Review) (With Images) - Aug 13, 2012
- Sharmila Tagore to walk for Ashima-Leena at DCW (With Image) - Aug 05, 2012
- Buyers' resolute thumbs up to Delhi Couture Week (Review) - Jul 26, 2011
- Madhuri Dixit turns 'devi' for Anju Modi - Aug 11, 2012
- DCW puts spotlight on opulence, grandeur and business (Preview) - Aug 07, 2012
- 11 designers to participate in India Bridal Fashion Week (With Images) - Aug 28, 2012
- Bollywood tunes set mood at Pakistan Bridal Week - Dec 19, 2011
- Meera-Muzzafar Ali introduce short dresses on the ramp - Jul 23, 2011
- Couture week gets bigger, better; Madhuri to walk at opener (Curtainraiser) - Jul 21, 2011
- Sridevi turns muse for Sabyasachi Mukherjee at DCW - Aug 13, 2012
- Designers happy as business takes front seat at WIFW (Review) - Apr 11, 2011
- No time or money for copyright, say Indian designers - May 04, 2011
- Ritu Kumar brings royalty on ramp with Sharmila, Soha - Dec 04, 2010
- Indian weddings have become liberal: Shantanu and Nikhil - Aug 12, 2012
Tags: brocade, chiffon, colour palette, dcw, ear rings, epitome, ghaghra, ghagra, highpoint, indian culture, kathak dancers, kurtas, leena, lehangas, pinks, sharmila tagore, showstopper, soft blues, trip and fall, veteran actress