I was fat because I couldn’t be like Diana: Says FergieMarch 3rd, 2009 - 12:33 am ICT by GD
In a revelation today the Duchess of York said she had craved comfort food and put on weight because she was constantly compared to Princess Diana and found wanting.
Sarah Ferguson, 49, said newspapers and tabloids calling her “Frumpy Fergie” and the “Duchess of Pork” had left her with no confidence because she believed they were true. It drove her to comfort eating and then the media adjectives only got worse when she became overweight. Fergie claimed that she became fat thinking about how beautiful the Princess of Wales was and how the media had loved her. She had confided her fears to Diana but the Princess of Wales had had no sympathy for her sister-in-law, saying, “Well, it’s easier for you. I’m at the top of the pedestal, and I have only one way to go. You are at the bottom, so you can really only go up.” Apparently the cold shoulder that Diana had given her about her issues only increased the problem for the Duchess of York.
Having bounced between fat and toned Sarah Ferguson said that she is constantly worried about her weight and that every day she is on a diet, comparing herself to an alcoholic who lets his problem get out of hand before finding help, adding, “For ages you say you don’t need help, and then eventually you get some, and then it becomes a way of life.”
Sarah Ferguson was married to Prince Andrew and divorced from him in 1996. They have two daughters, Beatrice, 20 and Eugenie, 18.
- Royal outcaste Fergie to get invited to Will and Kate's wedding - Jan 23, 2011
- Duchess of York not invited to William's wedding - Feb 19, 2011
- Diana's friend Sarah not invited to Wills-Kate wedding - Feb 19, 2011
- Unfavourable comparisons with Di forced Duchess of York to binge eat - Mar 01, 2009
- Guy Ritchie, Joss Stone invited for royal wedding - Apr 24, 2011
- Sarah Ferguson To Appear On The "Oprah Winfrey Show" - May 28, 2010
- Princess Beatrice in car crash terror - Oct 13, 2010
- Princess Diana stayed at my home with her sons in 90's, says Goldie Hawn - May 01, 2011
- Britain's Princess Beatrice wants 'real job' - Mar 03, 2012
- The Duchess of Cornwall is '8th lowest royal' - Apr 19, 2011
- Hat worn at British royal wedding on sale - May 12, 2011
- Princess Beatrice runs race - Apr 01, 2012
- Queen Elizabeth hosts diamond jubilee lunch - May 20, 2012
- Anna Hathaway spoofs Kate Middleton on SNL - Nov 22, 2010
- Prince Andrew spills the beans on marriage breakdown - Feb 14, 2010