I was a victim of celebrity status, says AguileraJune 17th, 2011 - 4:53 am ICT by IANS
London, June 17 (IANS) Singer Christina Aguilera has criticised cops, who arrested her early this year, accusing them of targeting her because of her celebrity status.
The singer and her boyfriend Matthew Rutler were detained by Los Angeles police officers in March after allegedly spotting their car being driven erratically through West Hollywood.
The singer was arrested on suspicion of public intoxication, but was later released without charge, while Rutler was booked on an allegation of driving under the influence that was subsequently dropped, reports contactmusic.com.
“It (arrest) never should have happened in the first place. The police knew my recent history and wanted to jump on the bandwagon. I don’t mean to martyr myself, but I think I was a victim of celebrity. I don’t drive, I wasn’t driving, and I committed no crimes, but they put me in jail,” the 30-year-old told W magazine.
“They called me a ‘political hot potato.’ They said, ‘What are we going to do with this woman?’ I think they were bored that night,” she added.
- Aguilera arrested for public intoxication - Mar 02, 2011
- DUI charges against Aguilera's beau dropped - Apr 18, 2011
- Life has been rough since divorce: Aguilera - Jan 12, 2012
- Christina Aguilera released after her arrest for public intoxication - Mar 02, 2011
- Christina Aguilera: 'I do EVERYTHING in bed' - Mar 07, 2011
- Drunken Aguilera allegedly crashed into Renner's bed - Jan 20, 2011
- Headed for divorce, Aguilera hides male friend in car - Nov 08, 2010
- Aguilera praises beau - Apr 27, 2011
- Identity of Christina Aguilera's 'mystery man' revealed? - Nov 09, 2010
- Christina Aguilera takes new man on Japan tour - Dec 05, 2010
- Aguilera promotes boyfriend - Jun 16, 2012
- Aguilera likes her fuller figure - Sep 06, 2012
- Christina Aguilera's dating film assistant? - Nov 14, 2010
- Christina Aguilera all set to rock in her 30th year - Dec 14, 2010
- Christina Aguilera flashes her G-string in see-through tights - Apr 23, 2011
Tags: allegation, bandwagon, celebrity status, christina aguilera, cops, crimes, driving under the influence, hollywood, hot potato, london, martyr, police officers, public intoxication, recent history, singer christina aguilera, suspicion, w magazine, west hollywood