I want to be a star, not just an actor: Sonam KapoorJune 12th, 2009 - 1:28 pm ICT by IANS
By Radhika Bhirani
Macau, June 12 (IANS) Bollywood actress Sonam Kapoor, who turned 24 recently, says she always wanted to be a star and not just another actor.
“For me, stardom is a new and novel experience… it’s lovely. That’s why I became a film actor… I wanted that… I wanted to act and be something. If I only wanted to be an actor, I would have done theatre. But I actually wanted to be a star and I make no bones about that,” Sonam told IANS in an interview here.
Sonam, who made her Bollywood debut in 2007 with “Saawariya” and later featured in Rakeysh Omprakash Mehra’s “Delhi 6″, says stardom definitely brings more pressure but she knows how to manage it.
“There is added pressure but I have been brought up in a way that I am extremely confident of who I am,” she said.
The actress is also aware of the three-decade-old body of work her father Anil Kapoor carries behind him and says besides looking up to him for advice, she also takes due advantage of being his daughter.
“My dad says he survived in the industry for 30 years because he didn’t concentrate on what people wanted him to do, but what he was convinced about. He was not part of the rat race and that’s what I am going to do - that’s what I have learnt from him.
“I am not part of the rat race. I just want to do films. Having someone like him in my family is an advantage and I make complete use of the fact,” she added.
Sonam is at the ongoing International Indian Film Academy (IIFA) awards for her first stage performance and says she is extremely nervous.
“I am nervous. I have butterflies in my stomach that are going all the way up to my head. The dress that I am wearing is very elaborate. It’s by Anamika Khanna and is pink, red and black in colour and has a lot of glitter and sequins like most show outfits. I hope the outfit stays. But I am excited as well,” she said.
As of now, Sonam is looking forward to her home production “Ayesha” as well as Mehra’s “Sahibaan”.
- Films dont fail, budgets fail: Sonam Kapoor (Interview) - Jun 26, 2010
- Malaika my mentor and muse: designer Rick Roy (Lead) (With Image) - Jun 28, 2012
- B-town wishes love, luck for Sonam's birthday - Jun 09, 2012
- I'm stylish, not sexy: Sonam Kapoor - Aug 09, 2012
- I'd like to write an autobiography some day: Sonam - Apr 06, 2012
- I am still a child, says Dia Mirza (Movie snippets) - Sep 18, 2011
- Censors out of sync with today's youth: Sonam Kapoor - Dec 22, 2011
- Big B doess photoshoot with pet dog (Movie Snippets) (With Image) - Dec 23, 2011
- Malaika my mentor and muse: designer Rick Roy (With Image) - Jun 28, 2012
- Sonam surprised at being tagged 'sexy' - Dec 20, 2011
- Abhishek's survival tips for Sonam - Dec 23, 2011
- Dolly Ahluwalia had apprehensions over 'Vicky Donor' drinking act - Apr 28, 2012
- Every actor has his own place, says Amitabh Bachchan - Sep 01, 2012
- Vidushi Mehra trying to carve niche with small roles (With Images) - Mar 11, 2011
- Stylists make everyone look the same: Sonam - Mar 21, 2012
Tags: actress, anil kapoor, bones, butterflies, debut, decade, film academy, film actor, glitter, going all the way, indian film, novel experience, omprakash, rat race, saawariya, sequins, sonam kapoor, stage performance, stardom, stomach