I waited six hours outside jail to meet Sanjay: ManyataNovember 22nd, 2008 - 11:32 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Nov 22 (IANS) Sanjay Dutt’s wife Manyata touched many a heart at the Hindustan Times Leadership Summit Saturday as she recalled her travails when the Bollywood actor was behind bars.Dutt was convicted for illegal arms possession in the run-up to the 1993 serial bombings in Mumbai was sent to the high-security Arthur Road jail in that metropolis last year - the last of the four occasions he was jailed.
“Initially, I wasn’t allowed to meet him. Then I called up Satish (Maneshinde, Dutt’s lawyer) and I said I want to meet Sanjay. I just drove and I waited for six long hours outside the Arthur Road jail and finally I got to meet him for 10 minutes,” Manyata said.
She was speaking during an interactive session, “Leadership Lesson from Munnabhai” - titled so after Dutt’s iconic character from the hit films “Munnabhai MBBS” and “Lage Raho Munna Bhai” - as the actor recounted his trials and turbulations.
Manyata, who was not married to Dutt at that time, recalled: “It was a thin net between both of us and another net barrier after three feet of space so that one can’t even touch or feel a person. There was a small yellow bulb in the closed room. I couldn’t see anything so I asked him to stand beneath the light, like under a spotlight, so that I could at least see him.
“I tried my best to be strong but I couldn’t and I collapsed and Satish had to take me back home,” she said.
Manyata took the opportunity to slam the media. “Thanks to the press, I couldn’t go to the jail. I was mobbed and they were writing funny things about me. I was asked to stay back at home and not to accompany him to the court.
“There should be a code of conduct for the media because they are given unnecessary rights. They can write and destroy a person - they can make you what they want to make you. They come with a pre-set mind if they are anti- you.
“A line should be drawn and there should be a law where you can sue a person for writing s*** about you without knowing you. People are written off like villains because of them,” she said.
- I want to be like my father: Sanjay Dutt - Apr 26, 2012
- With kids around, no time for romance: Manyata Dutt - Feb 02, 2012
- Drugs to deaths, misfortunes shaped my acting: Sanjay Dutt (Interview) - Aug 12, 2011
- There is no justice in jail: Sanjay Dutt - Nov 22, 2008
- Sanjay Dutt Gets Bentley As Birthday Gift From Manyata - Aug 06, 2010
- I have become a family man: Sanjay Dutt (Interview) - Oct 12, 2010
- 'Ferrari...' reminds Sanjay Dutt of his dad - Jun 12, 2012
- Sanjay And Manyata Blessed With Twins - Oct 22, 2010
- No acting for Trishala: Sanjay Dutt (Lead) - Jan 17, 2012
- MCD poll fever peaks on last day of campaign - Apr 13, 2012
- Trishala not allowed to enter into showbiz, says Sanjay Dutt - Jan 17, 2012
- I will never return to politics: Sanjay Dutt - Jul 26, 2011
- We have issues with Kangana: producer - Sep 14, 2011
- Sanjay Dutt revives Bollywood's larger-than-life villain - Jan 18, 2012
- Lack of strong script delaying third 'Munna Bhai': Hirani - Apr 02, 2012