I prefer wearing ethnic to western for ramp: Karan JoharSeptember 28th, 2008 - 6:40 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, Sep 28 (IANS) Director Karan Johar, who walked the ramp here for his designer friend Rohit Bal at the Chivas Fashion Tour, says he prefers wearing ethnic sherwani than westerns on such occasions.”I can’t say I’m crazy about the idea of being a model. And please, it’s not about modelling at all. It’s about just lending my name to a friend who happens to be a dress designer. And this time it was a dear designer friend Rohit Bal who invited me to wear his couture,” Karan told IANS.
“If I have to walk the ramp I prefer wearing ethnic to western. I’ve walked the ramp before. In fact the last time I did so was last year for the same fashion event, and it was again for a dear friend Nandita Mahtani. So you can say it’s very hard for me to say no to friends. I guess it’s better to walk the ramp than face the camera,” he added.
Karan, who was seen as an overweight guy in “Dilwale Dulhania Le Jayenge”, is astonished at the amount of weight he has lost over the years.
“I can’t believe I’m today seen to be slim enough to walk the ramp. I remember a time as a very fat child when I’d fool my mother into believing it’s my friends’ birthday. I’d buy a one-pound cake, hide and eat the whole thing at one go. My turning point was when I saw my fat self on TV receiving the best director’s award for ‘Kuch Kuch Hota Hai’,” said Karan.
As for directors rubbing shoulders with top actors and models, Karan said: “I’m flattered. And like I said I prefer walking the ramp. I hate acting. I never want to act.”
As far as his role as producer and director is concerned — Dharma Productions’ next big release is Abhishek Bachchan, John Abraham and Priyanka Chopra starrer “Dostana”. It is being directed by Tarun Mansukhani.
Apart from that Karan is gearing up to direct “My Name Is Khan” with Shah Rukh Khan.
- Manish Malhotra Says No To Karan Johar! - Jan 17, 2011
- Rohit Bal displays 'Shanti' with Arjun Rampal on ramp - Jul 26, 2011
- Sunil Shetty, Jackie Shroff walk the ramp at Pune Fashion Week - Nov 21, 2010
- Rohit Bal casts Arjun in princely look for Cannes - May 14, 2012
- Designers, not celebrities in focus at LFW (Rerview) - Mar 07, 2012
- If Deepika Padukone has a Christian wedding - Oct 11, 2011
- Rohit Bal's grand finale gets standing ovation - Mar 07, 2012
- Celebrities grab limelight, designers sidelined: Rohit Bal - Feb 07, 2012
- Tusshar gifts Nandita Mahtani's dress to Ekta - Jun 08, 2012
- Arjun meets Pattinson, Stewart in Cannes - May 26, 2012
- Sports joins glamour at Rajasthan Fashion Week - May 26, 2012
- Celebrities? Who knows? But trends for sure at men's week (Curtainraiser) - Sep 01, 2011
- Manish Malhotra brings curtains down on LFW in style - Aug 22, 2011
- Who's likely to head to Cannes from B-Town? - Apr 07, 2012
- Sonakshi walks ramp for J.J. Valaya at LFW - Mar 06, 2012