I made Simon Cowell what he is: Pete WatermanNovember 14th, 2007 - 2:20 am ICT by admin
“No, because I am glad to say that I made Simon what he is,” the Sun quoted him, as saying.
“He followed me around for so many years. If you go back to the 1980s, wherever I was Simon was always somewhere very close behind. I gave him his first Christmas No1, some of his biggest acts and made him into a TV star.
“When we did that first day’s filming of Pop Idol, none of us could have realised that it would ever become the biggest television show on the planet,” he added.
However, the 60-year-old also hailed praises on Cowell, saying that he has done a fantastic job of the Pop Idol concept.
“If I had not known Simon, I am sure it wouldn’t have worked - because I’m the one who got Simon to be Simon. I called him in and: “Sorry Simon, if I came to you with a piece of c**p, you would tell me it was a piece of c**p,” he said.
“You’ve always got an opinion about everything and now, suddenly, you haven’t got an opinion. But we have been mates for 30 years and never fallen out. What he does is fantastic.
“I take my hat off to him because I never thought he would make the Pop Idol concept work in America. I thought it was the craziest thing he had ever done. How wrong could I be!
“I don’t regret not going with him to the States though, my personal circumstances meant that I couldn’t. Also I knew my TV career was over, but being 20 years younger he was the perfect age,” he said. (ANI)
- Simon Cowell tells Oprah he was kicked out of a US TV network once - Jan 23, 2011
- Paula Abdul and boyfriend Jeff Bratton split - Jan 09, 2012
- X-Factor Season Premiere: Rachel Crow - Sep 22, 2011
- Ronnie Wood doesn't like Simon Cowell - Feb 27, 2011
- Spears tough to please: Cowell - Jul 25, 2012
- Simon Cowell 'turned down sex judging offer' - Apr 07, 2011
- Simon Cowell suffered breakdown - Sep 10, 2012
- Ego is Simon Cowell's biggest downfall - Mar 21, 2012
- Lady Gaga defends Rebecca Black - Mar 24, 2011
- Hasselhoff out of 'Britain's Got Talent' - Nov 30, 2011
- Cheryl Cole surprises Simon Cowell on his birthday with singing dwarfs - Oct 09, 2010
- X Factor Season Premiere: 2nd Night Begins With a Bomb - Sep 23, 2011
- X Factor Season Premiere: Marcus Canton's Last Chance - Sep 22, 2011
- Cowell wanted to keep Paula Abdul - Feb 09, 2012
- I'm on TV too much, says Simon Cowell - Jan 14, 2010
Tags: 1980s, christmas no1, concept work, craziest thing, first christmas, glad to say, i am glad, personal circumstances, pete waterman, pop idol, praises, realised, simon cowell, television show, tv career, tv star, x factor